is my Canister filter too big?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickleback

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys & Gals...

Just registered tonight, and I have a few questions :)

I am in the process of setting up an old 15g tank from a few years ago (before the children started arriving) with my 7 year old son.

We are wanting a simple set-up for a small shoal of White Cloud Mountain Minnows, maybe 10 or so.

I have a Fluval 403 from days gone by, which I used in a 4'x2'x2' tank, and I was thinking it might create a good strong current in this 2'x1'x1' tank, which would be along the style of this one .

Do you folks think this filter would be suitable? I can't find on the net anywhere what the volume turnover for this filter is...I know it is far more than is needed, but I think it could look good, like a river.

Would it be far too much for the wee minnows?

Also not wanting to start two related threads (although I am new here & if you think I should, please tell me) the filter media which has been in the filter, unused, for the last 7 1/2 years (the big tank was sold before the arrival of 7 year old), could it be used again? Obviously the carbon bag can't, but the sponge looks clean, as does the pre-filter/bio-max stuff. If this is well washed, can it be used?

Sorry for the terribly long post :) and thanks in advance

Glenn

Just throttle back the INTAKE and it will be fine. Never slow down the outlet of a canister. It builds up pressure and could weaken the seal leading to a leak. It should be fine, no worries.

Yes everything can be reused except the carbon but you shouldn't be running carbon anyways unless you have a purpose of removing medicine. I have a 1lb bag of carbon that I never use, just sitting there. It's good to have on hand.

Thanks Crepe
Just throttle back the INTAKE and it will be fine. Never slow down the outlet of a canister. It builds up pressure and could weaken the seal leading to a leak. It should be fine, no worries.
I did wonder about closing the valves on the filter a little....but this is brilliant advice...I did not think it would matter which valve :/

Yes everything can be reused except the carbon but you shouldn't be running carbon anyways unless you have a purpose of removing medicine. I have a 1lb bag of carbon that I never use, just sitting there. It's good to have on hand.

Good to know, I will maybe fill the empty space in the filter with pot scrubbies (reading about them everywhere now)

Thanks again,
Glenn

very nice tank, very placid, i love it, very calming to watch

Maxima...This tank looks great, if I can get mine looking half as nice, I will be pleased !

I won't have the fancy glass inlet/outlet set-up for a start :(

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom