Is my cycle nearing completion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok ive had my tank cycling for a while now, with two zebras and only started about a week and a half ago with water changes. Doing about 10% a day.

Here were my reading for the day.

Ammonia : down from 4ppm a cpl weeks ago to .25ppm now.

Nitrite : down from 4ppm a cpl weeks ago to .25ppm now.

Nitrate : closing in on 20ppm

Is it almost done now? I love my zebras, but i need some other fish to look at as well.

THANKS

How long exactly have you been cycling?

It's kind of hard to tell whether the levels are down due to cycling, or due to water changes.

I think it would be safe to assume that since you still have ammonia you have quite a while to go. Ammonia should go away first, and then Nitrites after that. For my fishless cycle that took a month, ammonia went down after about 10 days. Looks like you're starting to finish the ammonia portion of your cycle. Cycling with fish takes longer than fishless cycling.

If you have any friends with tanks, or know somewhere where you can get some used filter media, or some used substrate or decorations that could help speed up the cycle.

Good luck, and welcome to AA.

the tanks been set up for over a month, but i didnt do water changes for a long while

but i didnt do water changes for a long while

If you are cycling a tank with fish, you need to do frequent PWC or the fish will suffer severely.

Back
Top Bottom