Is my dwarf gourami sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjh33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry, I posted this in the getting started forum first and then noticed this forum.

A quick review of what I had/have. I had 2 serpae tetras that I got about 1 month ago. Friday I got 3 more serpaes and a dwarf gourami. The serpaes were beating up on the gourami so I took all of the serpaes back on Monday and got 2 julii cories to go with my gourami.

Since the beginning the gourami hasn't been very active. He has stayed primarily in one corner near the top of the tank. He ate a little the first two feedings but I haven't seen him eat since. Based on what I read I figured this was typical gourami behavior, he was just being shy, getting used to the tank etc. I also figured the serpaes were stressing him out and eating all of the food and thought that once they were gone he would perk up.

Well, he has perked up a little. He seems to be swimming around now and at least is in a different place in the tank whenever I come back into the room. However, I still haven't seen him eat and I have noticed he has white poo. Also from the beginning he seems to "breath" fast (opening his mouth fast and a lot) compared to the tetras but I just figured this was normal for gouramis. Is it? Overall, from the outside he seems to look healthy and doesn't seem to be hiding like he did before. Is he sick or is he still just getting used to things?

Thanks.

IME some fish just have white poo when they are a new arrival in the tank. Often it resolves on its own as the fish acclimates. However if it continues or it's really long stringy white poo then it may be internal parasites. How is his appetite? I would try feeding some frozen foods like blood worms usually this gets fish eating and then you can reassess the poo, lol. Also shelled peas are good for constipation and fishy diarrhea. If the fish eats well and stops having white stringy poo then there is no need to worry any further. If the white stringy poo continues then I would buy some medicated flakes to treat possible parasites. My dwarf gourami's are very active so once your fish is use to the tank he should be swimming all over. But it is quite normal for new fish to hide and be shy and inactive for a couple of days.

Maybe he is breathing fast then there might be a lack of oxygen. Are the gourami's eyes protruding? If so he may have nitrogen toxicity. Or he may have skin and gill flukes parasites. Does the fish scrape itself against objects. Its really hard to diagnose because alot of diseases have the symptons you describe.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try a different type of food and see if that kickstarts his appetite. How do you feed peas?

He doesn't seem to have protruding eye nor does he seem to be rubbing himself against anything. Sometimes I think his stomach looks a little fat but I don't really have anything to compare him too so I think it is just my imagination looking for something else wrong. The symptoms I know are there are not very active, no appetite, and white poo.

To feed frozen peas I take a couple out of the freezer and let them sit in warm water for a few minutes. Then I squeeze the shell off and feed the inner pea to the fish.

Well, I thought I'd update on how my dwarf gourami is doing and see if anyone else had any thoughts. Once I gave him some blood worms he started having a very healthy appetite even for flakes. Now, however, he seems to have gotten picky again and he'll take one bite of the flakes and once he figures out what it is won't eat any more. He only wants the blood worms.

Also, he is still having long white poo. I treated him on Monday with Jungle anti-parasite fizz tablets. On Tuesday his poo was brown/black like it should be. Wednesday he had white poo again so I treated the tank again since the directions said it could be done again after 48 hrs and a water change. Since then he has had both brown and long white poo. He seems to be healthy other than the white poo. He has become more active, and is finally eating some. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on? Does he actually have parasites or is he just a fish with long white poo? Should I be worried if it doesn't really seem to be bothering him?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom