Is my filter too strong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vijayw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank: 30 gn molded glass rectangular (31wx18hx13d inches)
Tank mates: 6 Tiger barbs, 4 Tinfoil, 4 Koi, 1 AngelFish, 1 Suckerfish
Filter: Top filter, 2300 Lt/Hr,
Filter media: Black dense foam at bottom, Black coarse form and on top white wooltype (that came along with tank)
Lights: multicoloured LED lights
Decoration: multicoloured Gavel, artificial plant (one big) and couple small, 3 Big staked stones
Heater: Yes

I run the filter 24x7, except when I feed them - mostly twice a day.
All fish become super active and finish the food within 2-3 minutes.

My worry is they dont make use of full tank, most of the time all of them swim at bottom only. Except Angel fish, usually it stays at surface in a corner, around the filter motor. But she goes everywhere.

When I keep the filter off, I notice they travel everywhere, and as soon as I turn filter ON, they all soon reach to the bottom. Is my filter scaring them?

Most of the time I find all of them facing towards the left side of tank, the opposite side where the filter inlet is placed.

Also - whenever I change the light, they all kind-of startled.

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• my-tank-vj.jpg
    my-tank-vj.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 25
Yeah, and does that outlet have a directional plate? Some of mine had trouble staying on so I used e6000 glue or silicone and they stay. You could direct the nozzle more toward the surface

Yeah, and does that outlet have a directional plate? Some of mine had trouble staying on so I used e6000 glue or silicone and they stay. You could direct the nozzle more toward the surface

Interesting, nope the outlet doesn't have any direction plate as such.

But I was in an impression that the this outlet is intend cycle the water towards the filter inlet.

If I (somehow) direct the nozzle towards the surface, hope it wont affect the filtering?

It's def better if you have a washing machine pattern in the tank for cleaning. Maybe I'm not seeing your pic clearly. Oldy eyes here, lol.

Another thought, are my fishes *too small* for this tank / setup ??

Back
Top Bottom