Is my fish "boxed off"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! I've been watching my mosquito fish and she's been getting a lot bigger. I think she's about to drop, but does she look boxed off? Thanks! She's been looking like this for 2 days, when do you think she should drop? I really want to see the fry being born!
Thanks soo much!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402886035.710542.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402886057.712743.jpg

Okay thanks! She just had a bunch of fry an hour ago, does anyone know how long they can be in labor? She still has a bit of a gravid spot so idk if she'll have any more!

I'm not sure if there are anymore. Her belly could just look a little stretched because of having the fry in there. I would just keep checking every hour or so. One of my platys continued popping out fry for a day and a half after she started! It really just depends on te fish. Congrats by the way :)

Thanks!! And lol she had like 5 more after the last photo so 32 in total! And no, she had one batch and then I had to quarantine her because she was so aggressive, and then it noticed she looked pregnant again and I was right!

Okay here are some of the new babies:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403145577.185378.jpg

And here is a baby from last month:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403145618.247155.jpg

I thought I would be able to put all the fry together, but the one month old fish ate a baby that I put in there, so idk what to do about that

Nice that's a lot of fry! Yea the tiny babies get slurped down pretty quickly haha that's a pain to need to have two different boxes for the different size fry. Within a few weeks though they may be able to be put together

I turned the 2 month old fry out into a small pond and put the 32 younger fry into a grow out tank. I'm hoping to keep the older fry in the pond until they can start reproducing. Does anyone know at what age mosquito fish start reproducing? Everything online says that it deals with the seasons, but these fish are indoors and so far, the mom will just keep having babies as long as the water conditions are right

Back
Top Bottom