is my fish in stress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLavender

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help my fish is laying upside down unless disturbed.then If you move him he will try to swim downwards but give up and float back up. He is breathing rapidly and it's scaring me. I tried to move it to a different tank from my main 20 gallon tank..I decided to move it in a really tiny bowl for now. I think he is stressed or somthing... I have nothing to check my ammonia with so idk what it's at. I'm kinda new at fish and stuff... I have had my glofish for over a year so I thought it would be good to buy new fish.. but anyways he's floating at the top on one side. Any way to help him?

How big is the main tank. How long has it been running. What are all the inhabitants and plants in the tank? Temp? Filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like swim bladder disease. It's quite common in goldfish and sadly once your goldfish has it, it has it for life. BUT you can manage it. Do not feed him for a few days, then give him 1-2 unshelled peas a couple times a day to clear his digestive track. Overfeeding and gulping at the surface are 2 big causes of SBD. It's important to feed goldfish sparingly a few times a day verses one big meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom