Is My Gold Gourami A Hybrid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased 2 Gold Gouramis today. One looks normal. This one is shaped so oddly that I wonder if it may be a hybrid. Can anyone explain why this Gourami is shaped so oddly? Is there a possibility it's is a Gourami Cichlid Hybrid? Sorry for the bad picture.

GoldGouramiShape.jpg

I purchased 2 Gold Gouramis today. One looks normal. This one is shaped so oddly that I wonder if it may be a hybrid. Can anyone explain why this Gourami is shaped so oddly? Is there a possibility it's is a Gourami Cichlid Hybrid? Sorry for the bad picture.

Sadly that is a genetic defect. Usually caused by a shallow breed pool. You will see this kind of deformity occur if you keep Guppies and let them breed too much.

Thanks Calfishguy & Predfan27. Will the deformity cause him/her any health problems? I always need X-1 LOL!

There is definitely the chance for health problems with birth defects. But it isn't a 100% correlation. With any luck your Gourami will live a long, happy life!

There is definitely the chance for health problems with birth defects. But it isn't a 100% correlation. With any luck your Gourami will live a long, happy life!

Thank you. I hope it will have a long life as well. I noticed you're in GA. I am from GA as well. :)

Where at?

Acworth when I was little, Newnan & then I moved to Colorado. It's very different out here. My mother & sister still live in Newnan. One of my brothers is in Lawrenceville, another brother in Deluth. I think my eldest niece may still live in Augusta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom