Is my java fern looking okay???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilkieam

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought it the other day and it looked like this when I bought it... It looked like the other one at the store so I thought it was some sort of red and green variety from what I could see in the tube, but when I brought it home I started to think otherwise. I'm curing a piece of driftwood right now to attach it to, so for now gravel is going to have to do... Im also using API Leafzone. Opinions?

image-929635791.jpg

image-33004259.jpg

image-51403078.jpg

Java Fern has a rhizome ( thick horizontal root ), don't bury that. Only the little roots can be planted. You can float the plant or gently weigh it down till the wood is ready.

Pulled my java fern out of the gravel and discovered two things I hadn't noticed before... The roots and rhizome were bound tightly with a piece of thread, and that my java fern had a plantlet!

Yea let them float for a while

Cut off the plantlet when the root have grown to a descent size

Yea let them float for a while

Cut off the plantlet when the root have grown to a descent size

The plantlet broke off when I was pruning the dead leaves... It has some decent roots, but idk what you necessarily mean as decent size..

image-2766252415.jpg

Here's a pic of the plantlet that came off ^^^

Oh ok your good, those are some pretty good roots, plant it, not the rhizome though, add the ferts, and watch it grow!

I would PM mebbid, he/she gave me an awesome way to make root tabs!
If not make your own, but I think that java fern likes liquid ferts, not root tabs, not sure though

Java ferns feed more from the water column than from their roots. They will benefit more from liquid fertilizer than root tabs.

^ there you go, thanks for confirming

Yea, you could really use root tabs that are 3 cents a piece rather than 1 dollar a piece

Java ferns feed more from the water column than from their roots. They will benefit more from liquid fertilizer than root tabs.

Thanks for the confirmation! I'm currently using API Leafzone, but might get some Flourish when I get my next paycheck.

Back
Top Bottom