Is my light low, medium, or high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What substrate do you use then? I am getting rid of my UGF and I really want to replace my old gravel with something natural looking ( I currently have blue and black gravel lol)

I just have a regular aquarium gravel. When I bought it I didn't know that I was going to be in to plants. Heck I didn't even know that there are substrates specifically for plants. I just dose fertilizers and use root tabs plus the CO2 to compensate on that. I attached a pic for you to see what I have. Plants are doing great.

In my other tanks I have PFS and dirt. I'll be doing that from now on. I like how the sand looks.

Attachments

• image-563447783.jpg
    image-563447783.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 54
That is a really nice tank! I would be happy of mine looked half that good! If you use soil and sand doesn't the soil mix with the sand? I really like the look of PFS. what kind of soil do you use I have never really understood putting soil in aquariums (is it like potting soil or dirt from your backyard?)

fishfanatic said:
That is a really nice tank! I would be happy of mine looked half that good! If you use soil and sand doesn't the soil mix with the sand? I really like the look of PFS. what kind of soil do you use I have never really understood putting soil in aquariums (is it like potting soil or dirt from your backyard?)

Thank you.

I use organic Miracle grow so it doesn't have any chemicals that might be bad for the fish. You'll need the sand to cap the dirt or it'll float. Mfdrookie told me to just damp the dirt then add the PFS before filling it up with water. Of course you need to rinse the sand first. With just PFS, you'll need root tabs. With dirt, the nutrients will leech to the PFS I think and will fertilize the plant. Also when the plants' roots reaches the dirt.

My tank is already set up, would there be a way to do it with the tank full of water?

fishfanatic said:
My tank is already set up, would there be a way to do it with the tank full of water?

You'll have to take out all your fish, plants and put them in a bucket or something. Drain the water, Take out all the old substrate, put in the new clean one. I don't think there is a way of doing it with all fish in the tank. People here usually advise on changing the whole thing at once. Some of the BB are in the substrate. So what I will do is put some old substrate in a stocking and put in the tank. Hang it on a corner, lay it on the ground. It's up to you. So you won't experience any mini cycle or it will at least help get rid of the fish waste until new BB growth on the new substrate. What I will do is maybe take some of the old substrate in the stocking out every 3-4 days or a week.

Would I try to keep the old aquarium water to refill the tank with? Or just fill it with new RO water?

I think the old tank water will be just fine as long as the parameters are good.

Do you tend to have problems if you have to move a plant with the roots of the plant bringing the dirt up to the surface of the PFS? Do you use a gravel vac the same as you would normal gravel?

fishfanatic said:
Do you tend to have problems if you have to move a plant with the roots of the plant bringing the dirt up to the surface of the PFS? Do you use a gravel vac the same as you would normal gravel?

I just pull the plants out slowly while at the same time shaking the sand off the roots.

I "disturb" the dirt on the sand until it floats then suck it out using the gravel vac.

I think I will give this substrate a try. How deep should the dirt be and then how deep should the PFS be on top?

fishfanatic said:
I think I will give this substrate a try. How deep should the dirt be and then how deep should the PFS be on top?

Mfdrookie advised me to do 1-1.5" dirt and 1.5-2" PFS.

Okey, thanks for all your help. That will be.a big project... I will probably have to dedicate a whole saturday. Another quick question...

What is pps pro? Is that an acranim for the actual name... I Googled it and it didn't come up with anything to do with plant fertalizers.

fishfanatic said:
Would it be worth paying 50$ for PFS?

$50 for Pool Filter Sand????? YOWZERS!!!!

Wad at Lowes last week- 50lb bag was $6.49

I really want to do that DIY fertalizer doser it is just what I need (and not too hard to build lol)
I still have no clue what chimicals I should order as far as pps.

Back
Top Bottom