Is my Mollie pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
She's a Dalmatian, so if she does have a gravid spot I can't see it :/ I ask because I just found out that mollies can have more than one birth after a single mating as they can store the sperm. Firstly...is this true? And secondly... Does she look pregnant?

She does seem to act pregnant - very aggressive to my other fish, constantly wanting to eat, and she seems to need a lot more oxygen than all my other fish. But I thought this was because she has her first lot of young in the tank with her. They were born about 2 months ago.

Water parameters: 0:0:20, temp: 26 degrees celsius, pH: 7.5

Attachments

• image-2203889547.jpg
    image-2203889547.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 72
I keep many mollies and breed them... She does appear pregnant but earlier in the pregnancy... I'd guess two wks till drop.
They can hold sperm for 3-5 times after a single mating...

Thanks for the feed back. Wow. I didn't even know she was pregnant the first time as she is the only female mollie I have, then one day when I was doing a gravel vac I almost sucked up one of the tiny babies! Now I have 7 babies and can see 2 are male and 5 are female. How long til they are old enough to get pregnant?

My mollies start mating with their siblings at 6-8 wks... Usually before a defined male gonopodium is visible... But all the girls are visibly pregnant...
First drops are around 10-12 wks...
A lot of people think the fish they get at pet stores are their first pregnancies but these fish are 6-8 mths old generally....
Early batches of fry may only have a few.. And fry amount increases with age... My year old Molly is dropping 45-60 per batch...
:)

ocminpin said:
My mollies start mating with their siblings at 6-8 wks... Usually before a defined male gonopodium is visible... But all the girls are visibly pregnant...
First drops are around 10-12 wks...
A lot of people think the fish they get at pet stores are their first pregnancies but these fish are 6-8 mths old generally....
Early batches of fry may only have a few.. And fry amount increases with age... My year old Molly is dropping 45-60 per batch...
:)

Well then...my babies are gonna have babies! Haha...eek! I hope they wait until my 180 litre is fully cycled, because my 25 litre is fully stocked because of them being born! Haha. And I thought that having the rounded belly was just the shape of the female Molly. Now that I'm aware of it, I can see gravid spots on my white babies. Ooh dear. :)

Back
Top Bottom