Is my Molly fish pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahGabrielle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've two molly fish, one male and one female. Recently, I've noticed that the female's belly has been getting larger. I'm not sure if she's eating too much, as she is the most eager to eat every time I go to feed them. The male looks healthy and fit, while the female has a belly. I'm not sure if she is pregnant or overweight. I just figured if I'm overfeeding them which I don't believe I am, then both of them would be big. I don't see any gravid spot, maybe because she's early in pregnancy. The first picture of her is when I first got her. And the second and third is her now. And the orange fish is the male.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1468681761578.jpg
    1468681761578.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1468681795484.jpg
    1468681795484.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1468681816633.jpg
    1468681816633.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1468681863593.jpg
    1468681863593.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 63
I'd really like to know.. if someone could answer that'd be greatly appreciated!

Might be too early to tell. The full shape appears to be normal. I think the coloration makes the gravid spot difficult to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@Fresh2o thank you for responding! What do you mean appears to be normal... like for a early pregnant fish or just a normal molly? She has gotten fatter. And I thought her being a totally white fish would make the gravid spot be very noticeable! Oh well, this is my first time ever with a possible pregnant fish! :)

@Barliman thanks for responding! I sure hope she is! I've read a lot about what to do with the fry and what not, I can't wait! Hopefully she's not just fat lol!

Female mollies are live bearer.. so better ready to see fry swimming in your tank.. and congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@maria011 when does a gravid spot appear? Still no spot. She's been a bit big for about 2 weeks now

Might be too early to tell. The full shape appears to be normal. I think the coloration makes the gravid spot difficult to see.

I agree, her white colouring is potentially hiding the gravid spot. If her tummy is growing, she's def pregnant.. And likely she might not show a gravid spot, or if she does, it could be right at the end of the pregnancy. Either way, prepare for fry! Perhaps get some floating plants :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree, her white colouring is potentially hiding the gravid spot. If her tummy is growing, she's def pregnant.. And likely she might not show a gravid spot, or if she does, it could be right at the end of the pregnancy. Either way, prepare for fry! Perhaps get some floating plants :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!!! How long will she be pregnant for? Like I said she's been getting fatter for like 2 weeks. Is it possible for you to tell how much longer she has? Or just how long do they last in general?

It will be soon, if your molly keeps swimming in same spot or hiding somewhere in your tank, it can be the sign, because that's what I noticed for both of my molly and guppy. It may help too if you have black background in your tank you can easily see the new born fry

It will be soon, if your molly keeps swimming in same spot or hiding somewhere in your tank, it can be the sign, because that's what I noticed for both of my molly and guppy. It may help too if you have black background in your tank you can easily see the new born fry

Ok!!!! Can't wait. I'll be on the lookout

My molly was acting funny, as if she was going to give birth. But after 10 minutes she snapped out of it to her normal self. Her stomach is still getting bigger and becoming more like a boxed shape so I'm guessing that's normal. My concern is on my male fish. Whenever I feed them, he hardly gets any food because she is constantly bullying him and scaring him away. I've noticed that it mostly happens when they're being fed. And occasionally when they're just swimming. He does sometimes follow her and get all in her personal space. I just don't want my male to be scared of her. I don't know if I should separate them now until she has her babies. Responses would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom