Is my new tank safe for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I've been having issues cycling my new 20 gallon tank. My new 20 gallon tank has no fish and I have a new filter media in it, with the old filter media from my other tank stuffed behind it. So basically my new tank has the bacteria on the filter media. Anyways, I purchased dr. Tim's ammonium chloride so I could get the cycle going, I put it in 3 days ago and there is still no sign of ammonia. I have had this tank up and running for about 2 weeks now and still no sign of ammonia.
I was thinking of taking the zebra danios I have(2) and put them in the new tank, but I don't want them to die in the process. Suggestions? Is my tank just not going to cycle?

Run a test for nitrates?
It would make sense if the established media is active that the ammonia from Dr Tims has been processed.
When you added the ammonium did you test for an ammonia level or just dose per instructions?

Run a test for nitrates?
It would make sense if the established media is active that the ammonia from Dr Tims has been processed.
When you added the ammonium did you test for an ammonia level or just dose per instructions?
All of my parameters are normal. I use the API test kit. I followed the instructions for the ammonia, 1 drop per gallon. I tested the tank everyday since I've added it and no signs of ammonia. Is it possible that the old filter media with the bacteria could've processed the ammonia already? My nitrates are normal. 10/20ppm which is my source water.

sounds like the filter media transplant worked well. You should check for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate regularly, but I'd put a couple fish in.

sounds like the filter media transplant worked well. You should check for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate regularly, but I'd put a couple fish in.
I have been checking it daily, but I think I'll put the danios in and keep an eye on them. I only have 2, I just hope they'll be okay if I put them in there

Back
Top Bottom