Is my platy pregnant???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well I have 3 female platies that I got between 1-2 months ago. Anyways one seems to have become like a balloon overnight... do you think she's pregnant, or sick? Yesterday was my day of the week where I dont feed them, so I can imagine she got bloated... but any ideas?
I've read they can hold onto the males sperm for up to 6 months... is this what you think happened?
img_1430149_0_b28638360e57eb7d21d4796235a88e4f.jpg
img_1430149_1_94822b0a243dbbb2dbe5162d7dc111af.jpg
img_1430149_2_385441eaf7e0a1ab7506fb53eab845dc.jpg

Is it possible for you to get a side shot? Gorgeous platy btw.

Its always difficult to get a picture of my female platy too, she swims so darn fast lol.

She will probably have been pregnant when you got her. x

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not liking the almost nonexistent gravid spot, or is that just me? I might be looking at the wrong spot and one of her black spots might be it.

should I put her in my separate 10 g tank... or no (sorry, question mark key isnt working)

and why did it just seem to happen all overnight

If you want to keep the babies..They are very good at hiding tho.. Very Hardy. No need for specialcare. Just crumble your fish food well!

They just seem to get big sometimes.. Maybe you just didn't watch for a few days..!

Thats what makes me think she isn't, All of the platys (Heck all of the live bearers) never just blew up over night. If she is I think a few days, She isn't totally Squared off yet. I would put her in the 10G, less stressful then putting her in a breeding net.

Some babies might get eaten by your Betta.:(
IMO If you WANT babies, just supply stones for hiding.:)

also, I may just not have noticed her getting bigger... I noticed she was a bit pudgier about a week ago, but thought nothing of it, then didnt really inspect again

Back
Top Bottom