Is my tank overcrowded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cultofpunk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
List of fish are in my signature. I heard someone say 1 fish per square inch but I'm not so sure about that. I just wanted to make sure and ask on here. (P.s my fry are in a breeding box as they are too small to go into the main tank officially.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
60g tank
15 Male fancy and imported guppies: Dean, Seth, Logan, Glenn, Sherbert, Fire, Sunset, Utchi, Cesaro, Franco, and Jesse (fancy guppies) Crowley, Captain and Falcon (imported guppies)
1 dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras
1 long tailed zebra tanio
1 black Molly
1 while Molly
3 balloon belly mollies
2 Sunset Wag platies (females)
2 gold Micky Mouse Platies (1 male one female)
1 male red Mickey Mouse platy
3 Mickey Mouse platy fry (color and genders tbd) born November 15th 2014
2 long fin skirt tetras
1 long fin gold zebra danio
2 long fin red minor tetras
2 rainbow fish
SIP guppies Sky, Walter, Roman, Leakee, Bucky, Hoji, Akira and Daryl
And Golden Mickey Mouse platy Brie, mother of over 70 fry.

The tetras and danios should be in schools of at least 7, and the rainbows in a school of at least 5.

Seems like a lot but they're all really small fish so it should be fine.

The tetras and danios should be in schools of at least 7, and the rainbows in a school of at least 5.

Seems like a lot but they're all really small fish so it should be fine.

+1 since they are all small they look fine but almost all of those are schooling and prefer groups.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

I don't hold with all these exact rules about stocking. It's normally obvious if you have too many or too large a species of fish. Higher stocking is possible with avid tank maintenance and high quality filtration. A 'lazy' fish keeper should have lower stocking.
I do believe that shoaling fish do better in shoals.
And I do believe that tetras and mollies/plaited should not co-exist (but that's just personal preference).
As a rule of thumb, if your tank needs more than 25% WC a week to keep nitrates below 20ppm then you could either be over stocked or over feeding.
Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't hold with all these exact rules about stocking. It's normally obvious if you have too many or too large a species of fish. Higher stocking is possible with avid tank maintenance and high quality filtration. A 'lazy' fish keeper should have lower stocking.
I do believe that shoaling fish do better in shoals.
And I do believe that tetras and mollies/plaited should not co-exist (but that's just personal preference).
As a rule of thumb, if your tank needs more than 25% WC a week to keep nitrates below 20ppm then you could either be over stocked or over feeding.
Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm always open to suggestions since this is the first time in my life I'm (halfway) in charge of maintains the tank. My dad does all the water changes and he does a 25% water change every 2 weeks maybe even 3 weeks. The water doesn't cloud as much as we thought it would with all the fish in there. So there's that. The only thing that seems to not be maintained is the ph. It's always high at about 7.5 im always having to put ph decrease in there once in a while.
My platys and mollies get along fine to be honest. I just go with putting all types of tropical community fish together. The only thing I learned my lesson from was putting too many gouramis in the tank as they can become territorial. (had 4 in there a few months back) and they were the reason some of my guppies were dying. But suddenly one week 3 of the gouramis got sick and died. Like the lower half of their bodies seemed to rot..it was really bizarre. I tested the water and everything and it was normal. So only one is in there now and I plan to keep it that way. Lol

60g tank
15 Male fancy and imported guppies: Dean, Seth, Logan, Glenn, Sherbert, Fire, Sunset, Utchi, Cesaro, Franco, and Jesse (fancy guppies) Crowley, Captain and Falcon (imported guppies)
1 dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras
1 black Molly
1 while Molly
3 balloon belly mollies
2 long fin skirt tetras
2 rainbow fish

I'm always open to suggestions since this is the first time in my life I'm (halfway) in charge of maintains the tank. My dad does all the water changes and he does a 25% water change every 2 weeks maybe even 3 weeks. The water doesn't cloud as much as we thought it would with all the fish in there. So there's that. The only thing that seems to not be maintained is the ph. It's always high at about 7.5 im always having to put ph decrease in there once in a while.
My platys and mollies get along fine to be honest. I just go with putting all types of tropical community fish together. The only thing I learned my lesson from was putting too many gouramis in the tank as they can become territorial. (had 4 in there a few months back) and they were the reason some of my guppies were dying. But suddenly one week 3 of the gouramis got sick and died. Like the lower half of their bodies seemed to rot..it was really bizarre. I tested the water and everything and it was normal. So only one is in there now and I plan to keep it that way. Lol

60g tank
1 dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras
1 black Molly
1 while Molly
3 balloon belly mollies
2 long fin skirt tetras
2 rainbow fish

It was probably Dwarf Gourami Disease. Only contagious to gourami and is incurable.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Back
Top Bottom