Is my Zebra Danio okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissPufferfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The shop lady told me to get a zebra danio to cycle my 6g tank, so I did. The next fish I got was a leopard danio so my first one didnt feel so scared to come out. They were okay for a day or so then the bullying and chasing started, the new danio chases my old one all the time. No nipping by what I can see. Then a little while later I got a couple of panda cory that I thought would calm the territorial chasing. It didnt. The zebra still swims around but she is pushed into the corner by the leopard, sometimes the zebra doesnt give up and stands its ground until it cant cope anymore and goes back to the corner with the filter in it. I think the zebra is female and the leopard a male. I have decided to try and take them back to a lfs and get something smaller so I can stock enough of them so there is no bullying. Anyway my question; the zebra danio has small brownish patches at the back of the belly near the start of its tail. Are they stress patches or what? It kind of looks like algae. All the other fish look healthy and apart from the patches the zebra danio looks okay. Just wanted to know what it was exactly.

Without a picture its difficult to say what the spots are. It could be some type of fungus, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions until you have a positive id.

Yea could be lots of stuff including its but. As for the chasing the dianos are a schooling fish and need to have 5 to 6 to help keep the bullying down.

Too true. Two danios of any of the common species will chase each other constantly, unless you can provide some more company for them. Leopards and zebras seem to be the worst in this regard, but Kyathits, and other colour morphs also chase a lot unless there are enough to spread the energy they have around.

The spots are puzzling. I've never seen anything that sounds like them on any of mine. A pic would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom