Is one type of live rock more colorful than the other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if anyone has found that one live rock is better over the other as far as color and neat things in it? I have access to figi rock and not sure if I should look for others..

thanks again for helping me with my silly questions...I just want to do this right and you guys are definately the pros on the whole saltwater thing...

I would say, it depends on where the rock is from and what kind of coraline is growing on it. What you really want to look for in LR is lots of "nooks and crannies", as much surface space for nitrifying bacteria to grow, 2nd I like to look for critters/corals hiding on the rock, 3rd I look at the shape of the rock and how I can put it in my tank.

My tank is more like a cube...the width is 30" depth is 19" and the height is 25" so I will have to be picky I think getting the rock as I have more height than depth....should be interesting to say the least...I will make sure to look for those things when I go...I cant believe no one here sells base rock..what the heck is with that? So needless to say I will be paying dearly for the live rock. Want to do it correctly though. Like I said you guys are the pros and I feel totally confident with the info that you have provided me with :)

You might be able to post a question in your regional forum, to see what folks in your area do.
That deep tank can provide for some great aquascaping....nice caves, perhaps a cliff or two spires that your fish can swim around....

All my rock in my tank is LR. I have 200 lbs that I got from the LFS and even though I paid up the nose. I`m glad I did. Nothing wrong with BR though. I just wanted all LR. I have Fiji, Marshall Island and tonga LR.

The quality of LR will vary greatly from vendor to vendor. Some "LR" around here is dull and shows little in the way of coralline or other growth. Others are in the premium category and come loaded with algaes, small corals, fan worms and more. LR that looks better usually carries a higher price. It is a good idea to mix rocks. All will carry the beneficial bacteria on the rock (which makes it live) and the rock with the visible life on it will eventually seed the dull rock over time.

I've always loved Fiji. I like the different shapes, and tunnels and holes in it for my many shrimp and animals. I may have gotten lucky with my LFS, but I have purple, pink, and red coraline on my LR. Also came with a TON of cool hitchhikers. To be quite honest, I've had more fun introducing LR in my tank than a new coral. Because you really don't know what you're going to get as far as hitchikers- and it's so much fun to find something that came in on your LR two months later!

Back
Top Bottom