Is ph a major concern when fish in cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBailey0625

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started cycling today with 4 small yellow danios in a 20 gal long. how often should checks on ph be done and what exactly is Ph?? Is it a major issue while cycling? info on this would be helpful

As long as Ph is constant, no problem..you should check ammonia, then NitrItes, and then NitrAtes when you tank is ending it cycling process.

pH is a measure of how acidic or basic your water is. pH of 7 is neutral... lower is more acidic, and higher is more basic (alkaline). Your fish will adjust to pH, as long as it's stable, and not WAY out there.

What are you testing with? You do realize that with fish-in cycling, you are looking at daily water changes for about two months......

If you haven't, read the following link carefully:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

EDIT: BEAT me to it!!! :lol:

sounds good. I (while doing my fish in cylce) check my ammonia, nitrites, PH daily and then once a week check the nitrates. since you are doing daily or almost daily water changes the nitrates aren't really going to have a chance to build up but it is good to keep an eye on things. keep track of your PH just to make sure things are not dropping. you don't need to test it every day, but I did because it was easy and I did actually see some changes. plus, you will get a good idea of what your stable PH id going to be for your tank. it will soon become obvious that it is stable and you will notice right away when it changes.

PH changes may occur when you are going through the nitrite to nitrate conversion (at least they do when you do a fishLESS)

Ph drops are more of a concern when fishless cycling because of an unrealistic amount of ammonia being pumped through the system. I wouldn't stress on it otherwise though unless you are working with a very low base ph to begin with.

Also, a well managed fish-in cycle does not usually require daily water changes or constant testing.

jetajockey said:
Ph drops are more of a concern when fishless cycling because of an unrealistic amount of ammonia being pumped through the system. I wouldn't stress on it otherwise though unless you are working with a very low base ph to begin with.

Also, a well managed fish-in cycle does not usually require daily water changes or constant testing.

What your definition of well managed?

Back
Top Bottom