Is planting substrate essential or will gravel do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arran walker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm looking to add quite a lot more plants to my tank and I'm wanting to put them all along the back half of the tank to make a bit of a forest type look I guess with some bogwood aswell.

I currently have a fine gravel in there so I'm hoping to keep that. Will the plants do ok if I don't vacuum the gravvel where the plants are or will they need special substrate?

I'm unsure what plants I'll get but I'm wanting quite a lot of java ferns I think

Any advice would be good as iv never had a planted tank before.

Ok thanks, will it be ok not vacuuming the gravvel underneath the plants?

You will want to add root tab fertilizers in the gravel since the gravel is inert. The root tabs will help with plant growth/nutrition especially if you plant swords, crypts, and such.

It depends on the type of root tab you use. Should tell you on the package how many to use and how often, as they all alittle different.

I got mediocre growth when i used to have standard gravel and root tabs.. When i recently switched to Floramax with some flourish tabs and DIY CO2, i had a plant growth explosion! Could be the tabs? Could be the co2? Or just a combination of all? But wow, what a difference!

Brian_Nano12g said:
I got mediocre growth when i used to have standard gravel and root tabs.. When i recently switched to Floramax with some flourish tabs and DIY CO2, i had a plant growth explosion! Could be the tabs? Could be the co2? Or just a combination of all? But wow, what a difference!

I strongly believe that the high cec substrates make a big difference, especially as you move up past low light conditions.

It must make a difference then, however I'm not fussed for fast growth as long as the plants are healthy

Fine gravel will work. Sand works better. Specialty substrata are best, especially if you grow more challenging varieties.

If you want java ferns- they don't care what you plant them in/on!

With root tabs, a lot of plants do well even in gravel.

I use gravel and my plants do fine. I don't do anything at all besides dose the tank once a week..

Back
Top Bottom