Is reaquascaping my tank safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arbrad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So today I went out and bought some live plants to replace my plastic ones (Anubias, Java moss, Aponogeton, Dwarf Lily, etc.)

My tank has been established and healthy for about 2 months now, but it looks very haphazard, because I basically just put in some drift wood and plastic plants from the pet shop and called it good.

Now I want to get all artsy with it. Give it a more natural, lush feel with the plants. Problem is, I got fish in there. And arranging this stuff in the water, around the fish, sounds like a pain.

Theoretically, so long as I keep the filter media, gravel, and decorations moist, they will retain all that good bacteria, and my nitrite cycle should be all set, right? I also plan on retaining some of the old water in a bucket.

The tank houses 3 guppies, 3 neon tetras, 2 kuhli loaches, 1 platy, and 1 common pleco.

Will they be okay if I put them into a smaller 5 gallon tank for a few hours while I'm doing all this? Will the tank need to recycle? How should I go about this?

Sorry if I seem over cautious, I just really want to be careful with these guys.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

You can put them in a smaller bucket if you want, but that would be extremely stressfull for them - they would be forcebly captured, twice, carried through the air, and dumped into a new environment.

I would suggest just leaving them in your big tank - they will get out of the way when the giant hand of doom comes into their home and starts mucking around in the dirt with some plants.

Also, have you ever tried to catch fish? It is hard!! It is really hard!!

I rescape w fish in tank all the time. Just drop water Lvl about half and get busy. Just be mindful not to crush anyone. But they run when you move stuff around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom