Is regular hot glue safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padderson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to reglue a cheap plastic plant to its weighted base. I swear it looks like regular hot glue was used in the original production. This isn't for one of my main tanks...just an old plant to add to my daughters betta tank. It I just use regular hot glue (glue gun) and let it cure and the rinse it, will that be safe? I'm not trying for any major production here. Just don't want to hurt the fish. Thx.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it isn't safe. I do know that lots of people use superglue for fixing various things for their tanks. Like reefers will use it for sticking coral frags to the frag stands, and some planted tank geeks will use it to stick java ferns to wood/rocks.

I glued many plants back to their bases, and put them back in the tank. Never had an issue. I always let them dry completely before returning to the tank.

WRT superglue...*plain* cyanoacrylate gel is safe for reef and aquarium use. The gel is preferred since it is less viscous and stays put while you are setting the object.

WRT Hot glue, as stated above, make sure it has zero additives, mold inhibitors, etc, and you will be fine. If in doubt, don't use it.

Just to piggyback on this glue discussion, does anyone know about CPVC/PVC/ABS cement in the aquarium?

I used Oatey All purpose cleaner/primer and Oatey all purpose cement.

I made up some plumbing for a project and it will have a glued joint in the tank as it sits now. Wanted to check if anyone has had a problem with this before.

Just to piggyback on this glue discussion, does anyone know about CPVC/PVC/ABS cement in the aquarium?

Not a problem. Cures very quickly and is aquarium safe according to the manufacturer. Many people dislike this stuff because once you glue it's now permanent. If your project is finalized it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom