Is rhododendron safe for tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone here used Rhododendron for their tank(s)? I have a huge one in my front yard and had read somewhere awhile back that some use this, but also read their are risks involved. If it's safe though, since my husband is digging it up this summer, I would love to use the twisted branches!

It and mountain laurel are poisonous to most animals including us but not whitetaildeer. I dunno about fish. Personally i wouldn't chance it.

i heard about this alot because some chinese exporters sell rhododendron roots labeled as red moorwood because the roots are almost similar to one another.

if you can, search for red moorwood (real one) - i bought two of them and sunk them into the aquarium for a flooded root effect, you can also tie moss on the roots to have more dimension in your aquarium.

i heard about this alot because some chinese exporters sell rhododendron roots labeled as red moorwood because the roots are almost similar to one another.

if you can, search for red moorwood (real one) - i bought two of them and sunk them into the aquarium for a flooded root effect, you can also tie moss on the roots to have more dimension in your aquarium.

Oh cool! I will find some real red moorwood. I really like the twisted brancing look.
:thanks:

yeah - but i have to warn you though lol - red moorwood doenst sunk easily like normal driftwoods - it takes time the wood sucks all the water so it would basically float in your aquarium. you can anchor it by tying it to a piece of aquarium rock until it absorbed its needed weight.

it also releases a cloud like filmy liquid - dont panic - its normal for the red moorwood - after a week it would dissaper on its own but if you have plecos - they love to eat that!

yeah - but i have to warn you though lol - red moorwood doenst sunk easily like normal driftwoods - it takes time the wood sucks all the water so it would basically float in your aquarium. you can anchor it by tying it to a piece of aquarium rock until it absorbed its needed weight.

it also releases a cloud like filmy liquid - dont panic - its normal for the red moorwood - after a week it would dissaper on its own but if you have plecos - they love to eat that!
Okay! Filmy liquid noted ;) I don't mind floating drfitwood. Actually I have a piece floating right now and my betta LOVES it! It's for now. When it sinks it'll be the plecos :D

Back
Top Bottom