Is Something Wrong With This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this, what the LFS said was a devils finger for about 4 months. All of the pictures i have seen on the net show them with polyps that will come out. The entire time i have had it i have never seen a polyp. There will be some small bumps that show up about every day but nothing more. I know it isnt sick and all of my water parameters are ok. My question is, is this thing ok or do they do this when they are getting enough light and dont need to filter feed. I have it it a moderate flow area. I dont think it is dieing because it has probably doubled in size since i got it and it will "shed its skin", i guess that is what you call it, about once a month. Everyting else in the tank is doing fine. I know that the fish could have caused them to close up but that is the way that it looks all the time. Anyone know whats wrong?

Attachments

• devils_finger.jpg
    devils_finger.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 117
Lighting could be a possible issue. Personally I have found polyp extension in these corals to be iffy at best. Corals of this type can take several weeks if not months to acclimate. Not as hardy as some might think. Do you know what the LFS had for lighting and what was it's appearance like before you purchased it?

Can you post the actual numbers for your test results including chemistry?

Cheers
Steve

The LFS had under VHO lighting but they said that the polyps had not opened up while they had it either. And these guys know what they are doing, they dont try to fill you with crap and wont sell you something that you cant keep. It is a little more expensive than the other LFS but it is worth it on the quality of things they have. I have never seen a dead fish in one of their tanks or even a tank with ich, and i visit there quite frequently. I was thinking that it might be getting to much light and it didnt need to open the polyps because it was getting all of its nurishment through photosynthesis. Also it has bumps on it where the polyps would be but they never fully open up, they just look like goosebumps all over it.
My nitrates and nitrites are at 0. Ammonia at 0. ph 8.2, sg at 1.025 calcium at 460. The tank has been set up since august. Like i said i dont think it is dieing because it has more that doubled in size, and still seems to be growing more. It is getting a significant amount of light and flow. should i maybe move it to a different location and see what happens. thanks for the help.

Gonzo82 said:
The LFS had under VHO lighting but they said that the polyps had not opened up while they had it either. And these guys know what they are doing, they dont try to fill you with crap and wont sell you something that you cant keep. It is a little more expensive than the other LFS but it is worth it on the quality of things they have. I have never seen a dead fish in one of their tanks or even a tank with ich, and i visit there quite frequently.
I was actually not suggesting your LFS was at fault. My reasoning for asking was so I could determine the differences between your set up and theirs. Acclimation with certain species can take quite a long time before it's back to proper health. Some do not "travel" well at all. I also don't think this coral is a Devils hand (Lobophytum sp) the more I look at it but rather a Toadstool (Sarcophyton sp) that has developed "fingerlike" extensions.

I was thinking that it might be getting to much light and it didnt need to open the polyps because it was getting all of its nurishment through photosynthesis. Also it has bumps on it where the polyps would be but they never fully open up, they just look like goosebumps all over it.
Light increase or decrease will cause issues with any coral. Leathers will adapt to either it just needs time. The polyps should extend to some degree no matter if it's feeding or not.

should i maybe move it to a different location and see what happens.
Only move the coral if it's getting too much water flow. Leathers do not like heavy flow, just enough to sway the polyps gentley when visible. Anything stronger can cause this which could easily be the only problem here. How often do you see a "waxy" appearance? Be sure it remains at the same level so the light intensity stays the same.

I forgot to ask, what's the darker image in between the two corals?

Cheers
Steve

Oh i didnt think that. I was just ranting like i always do about everything, usually in too much detail and people stop listening to me after a while.But anyways, the leather gets the waxy appearance about every three to four weeks. It has done that about 3 times since i have had it and it has been in my tank for almost four months. It is doing it today as i have just came home from class and noticed it. Also the darker image is my clown goby that used to hang out in the fingers. But he didnt like to come out and eat and has since passed on to the great fish god in the sky. Thanks for the help. I think i might have it in to high a flow area. I will try to redirect some of my powerheads and see if it helps.

Gonzo82 said:
the leather gets the waxy appearance about every three to four weeks. It has done that about 3 times since i have had it and it has been in my tank for almost four months....... I think i might have it in to high a flow area. I will try to redirect some of my powerheads and see if it helps.
Sounds like a good possibility. Post back with the results.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom