Is the tank Cycled now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trailite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All
I started cycling my tank on 04/06/08
Everything went as it should and I think that the process is complete but I would just like someone else to confirm this for me.
Each morning I bring the ammonia back up to 4 or 5 ppm.
For the last couple of days things have been going like this:
12 hours after adding the ammonia the ammonia reading is between .25 and .5ppm and the NitrIte reading is at 1ppm.
The next morning just before I add more ammonia the readings are both zero.
Am I cycled yet?
Please let me have your thoughts.

Yeah sounds like it to me. Just keep adding ammonia till like a day before you get some fish. Then do a large water change and make sure nitrates are low and you should be good to go.

Thankyou for that.
Unless anyone else has anything to add then I will assume that my tank is officially cycled and the little fishies can have a new house.

We thought that White cloud mountain minnows would be a good start.
This first tank is only a 3 gallon so it does not have a lot of water to absorb any mistakes and I understand the white clouds are a very hardy fish and good for beginners.
We have also just started cycling a 33 gallon tank which will give us far more options.
This will be a community tank. We like smaller fish similar in size to the White cloud.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I like the white clouds. I was planning on adding those to my 10g tank once I get everything set up again. When I had those and zebra danios in there, it was a super active and fun to watch tank.

Thats about what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.
My local fish shop tried to tell me that 10 - 12 would be fine, the other day.
I just agreed and left the shop.

Back
Top Bottom