is the water cooler at the bottom of the aquarium ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
in the ocean - water temp decreases as you get deeper.

I was wondering if its the same in the aquarium ???

The ocean is on a much larger scale. If you have proper filtration, the water should be the same temp throughout. If you had a tank that was thousands of gallons, then maybe there would be a cooler spot or two.

Well if you don't have a heater in the aquarium and you don't have much movement it may be warmer at the top by the lights than at the bottom. But since for instance, in my 55 gallon, I have a heater and i have a filter going that turns the water as well as two air curtains the water is constantly circulating, so the temerature is pretty steady throughout.

mine is warmer at the top by about 2 degrees. I have 2 thermometers on each of my tanks, one at the top and one at the bottom. I put it to the heater and the lights being up at the top. It certainly isnt due to lack of circulation in my case as the water is majorly circulated. I have an aquaclear rated for a 55 gallon tank on the 10 gallon and it is surf city. If you check out the pictures of my 10 gallon in the freshwater members tank thread, you can see the water seperate when it hits the glass.

The same instance in my salt tanks, water is warmer at the top.

Oh i have one of those submersable heaters so mine goes all the way to the bottom and... i also have a thermometer at the top and the bottom and they are the same!

I would say it would be the same in my tank. I have over 10,000 GPH of circulation so I can not imagine how it could not be the same, but after reading hara's post I am going to check and see.

Back
Top Bottom