is there a small turtle that lives . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodogcarl

Aquarium Advice Regular
exclusively under water? i've searched for "aquatic turtles" but, of course, get red-eared sliders and all the others who need to come to the surface to breathe.

is there a downside to having turtles? do they tear up plants?

Turtles Love plants! I had baby red eared and also eastern red bellies turtles. They are aquatic but like logs and such to rest on and bask in the heat. Thy ate all my aquatic plants! I believe all turtles need to come to the surface to breath. Even sea turtles.

exclusively under water? i've searched for "aquatic turtles" but, of course, get red-eared sliders and all the others who need to come to the surface to breathe.

is there a downside to having turtles? do they tear up plants?

All turtles have to come to get air to breath. There is only one family and I don't even think its all of them but maybe worth researching. The Sternotherus can stay under water if conditions are right for a very very long time unlike must other turtles.

I have Sternotherus odoratus a common musk turtle and it very rarely ever gets out of the water all the way.

This page will help you out a ton if you play with it long enough

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

All turtles have to breath air from the surface. Most will eat fish and many plants. They all need a basking area with UVB lighting. IMO they should be kept in their own tanks with a proper setup for their individual needs.

Back
Top Bottom