is there a such thing as to many questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
yet another question from me! Cycling of course....

I know I have been on here a lot asking all kinds of questions... I appreciate all the advice and input... I'm doing all kinds of research and want to learn things that suit me best. Cycling question.. I have definitely decided to do a fishless cycle but I read somewhere that instead of added ammonia daily or every other day that you can add a few raw shrimp and just let them take care of business. Is this an effective and accurate method? Sounds a little easier than trying to keep the right amount of ammonia .I Have a few trips coming up and would be excited to come home to a cycled tank. If not I have been give great advice for other ways to cycle from you guys :) (y)

Flossie said:
I know I have been on here a lot asking all kinds of questions... I appreciate all the advice and input... I'm doing all kinds of research and want to learn things that suit me best. Cycling question.. I have definitely decided to do a fishless cycle but I read somewhere that instead of added ammonia daily or every other day that you can add a few raw shrimp and just let them take care of business. Is this an effective and accurate method? Sounds a little easier than trying to keep the right amount of ammonia .I Have a few trips coming up and would be excited to come home to a cycled tank. If not I have been give great advice for other ways to cycle from you guys :) (y)

Shrimp works great. I helped a mildly seeded tank along in cycling by putting a cloth bag filled with left over peas. Basically anything that rots naturally will produce ammonia, just a matter of how clean you can keep your tank and shrimp work best. You can use fish food flakes too, just put them in a bag.

Great... So I could just throw it in for around a month and slightly monitor it and and test until I have 0ammo and 0 nitrites?? Then do a 90% Pwc and wait 48hrs and add fish ?? I'm going to be cycling a 55g . I figure about three shrimp ?? Should I put them in a stocking or just throw them in. I really appreciate your help

Flossie said:
Great... So I could just throw it in for around a month and slightly monitor it and and test until I have 0ammo and 0 nitrites?? Then do a 90% Pwc and wait 48hrs and add fish ?? I'm going to be cycling a 55g . I figure about three shrimp ?? Should I put them in a stocking or just throw them in. I really appreciate your help

It's always good to put them in something, just make sure you rinse the stocking really good in hot water new/used so you get rid of any soap, mfg debris, etc. If they get really moldy, throw in a couple more a few days before you want/need to pull the old ones out.

Do you have a water test kit yet? If not, I'd suggest getting the API FW Master test kit and stay away from test strips as they're very inaccurate.

Happy cycling :D.

K sounds great:) yes I got the API kit from pets Mart a few days ago ;)

Back
Top Bottom