Is there an electronic water monitor ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi gang,
Thanks for all the help from everyone at AA !

Question.. is there such a thing as electronic water testing equipment/monitor.. something that would give you digital readings of all your water parameters?

Thx,

Dave

yes.. PH monitors are common.. but what other peramiters are you intrested in?
Alot of them are tailored to other applications (SW mostly) like ORP for controlling ozone injection.

to be honest with you I cant wrap my head around how those peramiters could be detected by electronic means.. just for your information.. HTH

I'd like to think it was possible but based on the tests that I do with the liquid test, I also don't see how it would test for all those things. But it is nice to hope.

A couple bookmarks that might get you rolling:

Theres the WRRC project assuming you are familiar with the bash, but if you're not the instructions are pretty clear and wikis for OpenWRT are good:
http://www.bytality.com/wrrc/

Here's a gallery where someone added a serial interface to his pH controller to keep a database of pH and when the solenoid opens, then logs on his webserver. He said he'll release schematics of his serial interface board when he gets around to improving it:
http://www.bluesboy.se/fotoarchive.php?album=Projekt Solo

When I get pressurized I would like some *nix box to control the solenoid based after deriving CO2, not pH - it is archaic to me that we control carbon dioxide with pH controllers alone. I'm sure with enough will you could control most everything in your aquarium, but I'm not sure what measurement devices are available for N P K. X10 for dosing pumps would be easy if necessary.

There are machines that read the "color" of liquid.

well.. now I see some people do more thinking then me! OMG.. now I have another thing to reaserch.. thanks alot czcz! JK :biglol:

I brought this up for 2 reasons.
First of all, I love designing tanks, not learning chemistry. I get soooooo aggravated trying to absorb all the chemicals that need to be added, pH and co2, baking soda, etc. The more confusing that gets, the less enjoyable the fish are.

Secondly, those dang color charts. I did a nitrate test tonight; API's FW Master Kit.
If you hold the test tube against the color chart, it will match 5.0
If you uncap it and look DOWN the tube, it will match 10.

It would be nice to have a monitor like the pH monitor that would monitor and give you a digital readout of co2 levels, ates, ites, pH, KH, GH, nh3.. all right there at a glance.

Somebody build it and I'll buy it !

Dave

I have access to mass spec and gc machines I wonder if talked the lab into running a sample what the machines might show.

Xzap.. I asked about test kits for clarity of reading a while back to Toirtis and he said that the Hagan Nutafin line and Red sea were easier to read then the AP kits.. I find this frustrating myself.. HTH

Rich - if you can and share results that would be great. I'll send dry ferts if its possible to test them, too.

heh 270$.

its harder when you have driftwood or peat because the waters yellow already and when you test its yellow 2..

I think what all of us planted tank geeks are looking for is a probe-moderated drip-feed system for NO3 and PO4. Dial it in to 12 ppm NO3, 1.0 ppm PO4, give it a couple of bottles of solution and go on vacation for a week or two. Is that too much to ask :p

travis simonson said:
I think what all of us planted tank geeks are looking for is a probe-moderated drip-feed system for NO3 and PO4. Dial it in to 12 ppm NO3, 1.0 ppm PO4, give it a couple of bottles of solution and go on vacation for a week or two. Is that too much to ask :p

Something from a hydroponics supply, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom