Is there silly questions? Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Needless to say, I am VERY new to all this... (the shrimp would tell you so, if he could still talk) I have set up a 10 gallon to "get the feel" of a sw tank. I want to make sure I'm willing to do the water changes, run the tests, moniter the lights, etc. before I make a large financial investment. Anyway, here is my question: Can a 2 g tank be used as a refugium for a 10 g? Would it really be necessarry and have any benifits as small as it is? Is there a powerhead small enough not to blow all the water out of it too fast? Should I just wait till I get a larger tank and convert the 10 g into the refugium? My set up is pretty minimal right now: Have a hang on filter, the worlds smallest protien skimmer, nothing under the crushed coral. Inside the tank is a couple of live rocks, two of the "Texas Holey Rocks" (not authentic for sw, but still looks cool) choc. chip starfish, two hermits, a turban snail, an anemone, domino damsil (very psychotic) and two humbug damsils (the domino will probably kill them off soon). The lighting is two 25w actinics.

For starters, you shouldn't put an anemone in a new tank. What kind is it?
The domino damsel needs at least a 30G tank, the same with the 2 strip damsels. Fully grown, you will have around 12 inches of fish in a tiny area.
You may want to rethink the "Texas Holey Rock", as it could have heavy metals in it that may leech into your tank.
Smaller tanks leave less room for error and things can happen really quickly with that small amount of water volume.
My suggestion would be to take the damsels back (I assume you cycled your tank with them?) and the anemone and check out the link below for better critters for your tank:
Nano Fish
A 2G sump probably won't help much.

I doubt I will be able to take anything back, so will probably just have to wait for the inevitable. The tank has been going for about a month and everyone is copestetic except for the the domino/humbug issue. I read that it takes anemones a long time to show symptoms and die once they get stressed, so things may not be as peaceful as they look.
I'll get a pic of the anemone when I get home, and maybe you could let me know what type it is....

thanks for the info....

Sure thing, I would post the pic in the SW ID section.

I have never had a problem with Texas Holey Rock and unfortunately have had to use it quite extensively over the years. Your only concern is the rock quarry it came from, but leaching it can be an extra measure of safety if it does concern you. The choc. star and anemone grow too large for your tank and limit the ability to keep other fish and invertebrates; I would return these for credit or trade. What kind of filter do you have (make/model)? Domino's are just plain aggressive lil beasties. There are relatively mild-mannered to even shy damsels so if you can, return it for credit or trade as well. I take it this tank is cycled? Good to see another from Tx :)

I'll get all the stats and a pic of the anemone when I get home... Sad to say, but true.. I don't really know enough to know what I need to know...
<grin>

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you got your stuff from PetCo???? If that is the case the anemone is probably a Condy....white-ish tentacles with pink or purple tips? A pinkish foot??

I'll just echo what everyone has said so far. The best thing you can do is go to the article section of this site and do some reading. A 10g setup is very doable but it has to be monitored closely from day to day. Things change very quickly in a small tank and can cause you problems. Larger systems (55+) can be expensive yes, but far more forgiving to the beginner.

Do some reading in the article section and get back to us with some pics if you can...

I kind of take it that you are doing the ten gallon because you think it will be easier than the bigger tank and it will prepare you for the large tank. I always tell folks that the larger tank will prepare you for the smaller tank. IME the larger a tank the easier and more forgiving it will be on mistakes and problems. I suggest starting with the larger tank and then for a challange go with the 10 gallon. JMO

Hi,

Ive read a lot and done a lot of research.

I started reading for about 3 months before I even spent a penny. Went to a few forums and I have to say that this one is the best where people dont have an ego and will try their best to help you.

Well since you already bought some stuff its a bit late to say read before you buy.

Perhaps this will help you

Saltwater Aquarium and Saltwater Fish Beginner's Guide - Aquarium Guide

Like I said Im new too but you found a good forum.

"Be warned, a smaller tank will pose more challenges and will force you to perform more frequent water testing and maintenance"

Also I recommend you goto this page and check out the fish and see their requirements

Marine Fish Species

also this page will tell you if the fish you want to get are compatible with each other.

Compatibility Chart for Marine Fish

Its a good idea to make a list of the fish you want first before buying them. This way you wont buy on impulse, you wont put a fish that needs a 30g tank in a 10g tank, and you kinda have a goal to work to.

IMO you should convert that 10g into a hospital tank cuz its highly recommended that you have one.

HTH

My goal is to eventually convert the 10g to a refugium. It was really more for expense than size that I'm starting with a 10g. I'm really enjoying just the small "show" and know a new tank is just a matter of time...

Back
Top Bottom