Is this a joke?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Called a fish store. Not a LFS, my guy couldn't get apple snails. So anyway. I ask this guy who's about 30-40 minutes from me about apple snails. He says absolutely not and suggests adding south American cichlids to a African tank! Different pH no?!

Am I missing something?! This is what annoys me about this hobby EVERYONE (meaning LFS) has a different opinion. I have yet to find one that say the same. I have a guy I trust and for now on I'm only going to him and I will resist the impulse buy when at a LFS. But really, South American with south African?!

Ya most LFS are majorly lacking in knowledge, especially considering that's what they do. I don't shop at chain stores typically and if I do I don't ask for help. I have a local LFS I go to and he is really good so I try to stick with going there. Prices are higher in small shops but I don't mind when I get proper customer service, it helps that he often gives me deals.

lol honestly unless any invert or fish you put in your tank is 1st or 2nd generation tank born or wild caught it really wont matter. by now they've adapted to whatever PH they were raised to be bred in. you COULD put S american cichlids in with africans if you were looknig at tank conditions alone(PH, temp, etc) but couldn't because of the agression issues.

Chain stores only have one person who is mildly trained in fish. The rest might not know a thing. If you know what you want or need its ok, but IMO its worth going to a small LFS and paying the extra $2 for the knowledge and quality.

That's why I'm so shocked!! It is a small local fish store not a chain and it's the OWNER of the store who told me this over the phone. Like I said I have a guy and I'm going to him for now on but like NY knows he can't always get things for whatever reason and sometimes he takes a long time. GREAT guy though and always there if you need him or get into trouble.

This is a small mom and pop owned store a little up north. Don't wanna mention the name but I bet some of you know it. Again this was the owner who said no way to apple snails, I was just curious about them and figured it would be a cool addition to my tank and wouldn't cause aggression issues. I went online and read something about not being able to ship apple snails without a permit.

That's terrible that if someone that didn't know better would listen and set this tank up with all these mixed fish and have real issue on there hands. Thankfully with the help from the members here I was able to identify my problem and remove it.

I'm not an expert but my Africans (frontosa and compressiceps) have eaten any snail ive put in the tank. An apple may be bigger but it may just be a bigger target.

kdpuffer said:
I'm not an expert but my Africans (frontosa and compressiceps) have eaten any snail ive put in the tank. An apple may be bigger but it may just be a bigger target.

I hear ya, I just know a few members here that have them in there tank with no problem.

yea, it's a crap shoot on the quality of even the mom & pop shops in NJ/NY area. I've got a great looking FW shop near me but they don't know anything and their fish are questionable so QT is a must. then there's huge stores like hidden reef that seem like they wont be able to handle the volume and still have a solid knowledge base but everybody I've dealt with so far was very knowledgeable.

It's hit or miss with snails. either your fish will see them as dinner or as moving rocks.. one of the 2. one thing you will notice is your snails will hide/sleep anytime the lights are on(possibly even moonlighting, but that depends on how active your guys are with moonlights).
They'll pretty much be like moving rocks to you. one day they'll be in one spot and the following day they'll be somewhere else because they were grazing all night.

NyteGTI said:
yea, it's a crap shoot on the quality of even the mom & pop shops in NJ/NY area. I've got a great looking FW shop near me but they don't know anything and their fish are questionable so QT is a must. then there's huge stores like hidden reef that seem like they wont be able to handle the volume and still have a solid knowledge base but everybody I've dealt with so far was very knowledgeable.

It's hit or miss with snails. either your fish will see them as dinner or as moving rocks.. one of the 2. one thing you will notice is your snails will hide/sleep anytime the lights are on(possibly even moonlighting, but that depends on how active your guys are with moonlights).
They'll pretty much be like moving rocks to you. one day they'll be in one spot and the following day they'll be somewhere else because they were grazing all night.

They sound cool to have even though they don't do much. And I figured it wouldn't start an aggression issue but 1 I can't find them and 2 this guy is telling me to put South Americans with my Africans!! I'm pissed!! He even mentioned a green terror for my tank!!!!! I'm mean C'COM!!!!!

You could mix old world and new world cichlids if they are all adapted to the same water conditions. There might be aggression issues depending on how you stock them, but cichlid is a word that encompasses a huge list of different fish.

I don't like the idea of mixing new world/old world but that's just an taste-driven opinion, it has nothing to do with whether it'll work or not.

Lots of people have different opinions, especially those in LFS that tend to have more 'dated' ones, or some off the wall stuff. The reason is because most of them aren't tapped into a community to share and learn, so they have their own way of doing things and don't really assimilate with the rest of the community. I try not to look at the advice they give in a right/wrong context but rather just view it as them sharing their opinion and leave it at that.

Very true. That's why I'm asking here for now on. If I didn't I'd probably have a huge problem on my hands!! I just asked about simple apple snails. He was totally against it and shouldn't it be the customer? I wanted them and he said no you don't, you want south American cichlids there pretty.

Convict2161 said:
Very true. That's why I'm asking here for now on. If I didn't I'd probably have a huge problem on my hands!! I just asked about simple apple snails. He was totally against it and shouldn't it be the customer? I wanted them and he said no you don't, you want south American cichlids there pretty.

I have African cichlids both mbuna and peacock, I also have firemouths in there also. I hear what your saying a bout mixing, and I don't think your wrong, however it can work .it just depends on your tank aquascape and the individual personalities of your other fish. The firemouths tend to hold there own as the Africans don't like the colour red, which is handy. And the fire mouth tend to display rather than fight, if indeed they need to. And believe it not the fire mouths breed quite happily. Hope this helps

If you feel brave get firemouths.

Back
Top Bottom