Is this a LFS Deal or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay... on the same topic of LFS.... What do you guys think of this?

90gal R/R Tank, Light Fixture, Glass cover, Stand & Canopy (OAK) ... $899

This was split off from the topic called "The LFS is hooking me up". Just wanted to make sure the two did not get confused.

how are you with diy? you could go mh for less money if you're a handy fellow. i guess i really don't know if that's what you'd want, but i think it's a good option. and you could use your pc's as actinic supplement.

Is a 250W heater enough for a 90gal tank or should I opt for the 350W -

Pro Heat II Titanium w/ digital LCD display...

That's as good a price as you'll find on the complete setup. He's selling it to you for wholesale. Can't get much better than that.
On the heater for the 90, two heaters is better...it gives you some redundancy. I kinda doubt you want to spring for two of the Pro Heats though as they are not cheap. Here's what I'm planning to do with the 180: 350w digital Pro Heat with a 300w Visi Therm or Ebo Jager. The Pro Heat will be set to the desired tank temp and the other about 2* below. That's still a little below the curve for a 180, but the tank isn't close to outside doors and the climate control in the building is excellent. For a 90, I'd recommend 2 heaters that total about 5-6 wpg. If one heater fails, the other will provide enough heat to keep the tank from getting critical. If one sticks on, it'll take a lot longer to overheat the tank than one large heater would.
Logan J

PrettyFishies-

Depending on the brand of the tank, if the stand and canopy were custom made or not, and what kind of lighting fixture it comes with will really is going to factor if the price is right or not. Also when you say reef ready, do you mean just a drilled tank, or drilled and a filter system? if the filter system is included, thats a good price, if not, it's hard to say.

just my 2 cents.

Mr. Durgen

PrettyFishies said:
Is a 250W heater enough for a 90gal tank or should I opt for the 350W -

Pro Heat II Titanium w/ digital LCD display...

I also have a 90gal and I'm using 1 250watt Ebo Jager and 1 250watt Pro Heat II. Both are in the sump. I keep the Ebo Jager set about 1 degree below what I want my tank at and I fine tune with the Pro Heat II because its controls are at the plug and not submerged. BTW don't trust eithers temperature setting use a good thermometer. JMO

Is the proheat a good filter, I like the idea of the controls out of the water, not under it. My heater is as low as it will go, temp is at like 80!

d9hp said:
Is the proheat a good filter, I like the idea of the controls out of the water, not under it. My heater is as low as it will go, temp is at like 80!

I'm pleased with the Pro Heat II so far. It has a nice digital read out on controller of tank temp and a temp dial to adjust temp, but I don't trust dial I go by thermometer and make small adjustments. Your temp being at 80 with the heater turned all the way down would make me think you have another heat source ...... eg. lights, submerged pumps, etc.

Hey cal91666...you ever hear the expression that the true test of another persons intelligence is how much they agree with you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: . And I thought my idea of the Pro Heat/Ebo Jager combo was so original 8) .
Logan J

I said pro heat filter, i meant heater. You guys got it though. I do have lights on, very hot ones, I am getting a small fan to reduce heat. Can I just get a small computer fan?

Okay... So it looks like I should get a 150W pro heat II and a 150W Ebo Jager... sounds good to me...

Reef Ready has an overflow siliconed in the corner and holes drilled... no filter... But damnit... I just commissioned my daddy to build me a stand and canopy... That'll save me about $350

By the way.. The Light fixture was a cheap piece of crap so I was goign to exclude that anyway and get $75 off... The individual prices are actually decent $275 for tank...which is all I'm going to buy from them... the markup at LFS's is insane... like a Quiet one Filter for $179 instead of $99 at marinedepot.com ...

At least you're doing research here b4 buying everything the lfs wants to sell you :)
It can be quite expensive buying everything twice :oops:

The only thing I can't find is SouthDown Play Sand... Anyone in NJ/NY know a SPECIFIC Home Depot that carries it on a consistent basis?

I'd probably go with 250w heaters instead of 150's. Or a 250 Pro Heat and a 200 Ebo Jager. That will get you in the 5-6 wpg range.
The markup at the LFS is high...probably close to 100%. The reason it's a lot higher is that the wholesalers don't have much better prices than the online vendors. The filter you mentioned for $99 probably cost the LFS $89 from the wholesaler. Then the LFS has to cover overhead (rent, power, wages, ect...) and still make enough of a profit to live on. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's how it is. The power bill at APC, and it's a small store, is usually over $1000 a month. So, we have to sell about 10 of those filters and a couple of cases of fish food to cover that...then we can start working on the rent. I guess what it boils down to is what kind of service your LFS offers. Some of them want to get in your pocket and get you out the door. Brandon and I have both, at no charge, gone to customers houses to help straighten out a problem with a tank. I guess that's where you have to decide if it's worth paying the extra amount for the service you get. I didn't mean to give a speech :oops: .
Sounds like you're well on the way to having a very nice tank...hope to see pics as it goes together.
Logan J

Where r u in NJ? HD in Edison usually has it. Call the closest one and ask for the garden dept. That's where they have it and it's where the people who know what it is are. It took me 5 calls to 5 stores last month to track it down. I think it was the Hamilton store that had over 200 bags. The Bridgewater store was getting some in.
Edison
1035 Route 1 South
Edison, NJ 08837
(732)906-0501

"Bridgewater - Rt 28" #947
400 Promenade Blvd
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
(732)469-5883

Thanks.
I'm in Bergen County... but I'll go to Edison....

they all say the same thing.. they get it periodically, but it flies of the shelf

You really should try calling the garden dept. at the local stores first. I know they tend to put you on forget, but if they have it or are getting it in tomorrow it would be wasted drive. Nice day for it though....
I called Edison, they only had 2 bags left this past Saturday.

Well, the garden dept says they have about 20 bags left of Southdown, but it was a kid I just spoke to, not the dept. mgr.
Might be worth the drive after all.

Back
Top Bottom