Is this a Molly or Guppy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a pic of the new babies one of the fish had. i am pretty sure they are Mollies, but could someone tell me for sure if these are Guppies or Mollies?
Thanks a bunch!!! :?

ha, ha... Well, that is where it gets confusing....
I had a pregnant Molly and a Pregnant Guppy and I don't know whose babies they are,, since I have never seen fry before :?
Here is a pic of the mommy and daddy molly (the speckled fish and the white fish in the pic)
I don't have a pic of the guppy.

I think the babies are mollies, but that picture shows PLATIES and moolies, not GUPPIES and mollies. :)

Yea. I have two male platys in the tank as well and they just happed to be in the picture with my mollies. I guess they wanted to be superstars that day. :lol:
I can never get a good pic of my guppies. :)

looks like mollies to me too

molly fry grow very fast compared to platies and the fry become noticebly larger around day 2

as small as a guppy is, I think their fry would be very small, but I don't know how fast theye grow.

Yeah, man she really poured them out. We counted 17 the day they were born and today there were still 17. :)
Good thing i have friends that want some additional fish. :lol:

My guppy fry are tiny and they range in age from about a week to a few days. Much smaller than those fish you have in the first picture.

Thanks megalofyia. hadn't heard from anyone with guppy fry, so I was not sure how big they are when born? So, I guess I have Molly fry. Cool! :wink:

Everybody loves Platys. Id say those are probaby.... Well i dont know the pic is too small...

My husband raised guppies at one time. He says they are guppies. If they were mollies, they would come out at birth with the dalmation coloring. He also advises that if they are in the same tank with the other fish, they will get eaten before they get grown so moving them to a grow-out tank would be advisable.

If they are indeed guppies, they will start getting their coloring at about 2 weeks. Mollies and Platies are born with their coloring. They may not have all their markings yet, but they will have the coloring. (Black mollies will be born black, dalmations will have some speckling)

He also says that if you want to leave the fry in the tank, there is something called a grow pad that you can put in there that will give them dense enough cover to hide from the larger fish.
Good luck! Let us know how its going :)

Hello HOLLIEO its me the new and IMPROVED Solid Snake !! Now u can see where i really live! I TOLD U I DIDNT LIVE IN JAPAN!! TAKE THAT MP5!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK, I captured one of my guppy fry, stuck him in a champaign fluke and told him to say cheese. This IS a guppy fry, take a closer look at what you have ad see if they match.

Hard to tell from the photo, but they look like Mollies instead of Guppies. I've had several batches of fry of each type and the guppies look very much like the mollies when they are very small.

Socal, thanx for the pic!!
That is what my little fishys look like, but I don't think mine turned out to be guppies. Only because once they were born, there were about 17 or so that I could count and they already were like the size of a grain of rice. I don't think they could have all fit inside my little guppy. :lol:
The fry are about one week old and all are still white except for one, who is a tan color. Here is a pic
Solid snake... welcome to the USA... ha, ha..LOL.. Yes. I see you fixed your profile. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom