Is this a Ricordia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Due to the possible eating things I was reluctant but really because of the stinging, I have sensitive skin and don't want to take the chance, so have not kept them.

If you are aware of how to handle it and like it and have room to keep it then why not? I would check into the part about if it really can grab and eat fish. I would assume it could catch sick or injured ones easily.

You need to feed it some meaty foods but that is easy with frozen food packs.

They are pretty and interesting.

You can get some meaty food, Mysis Shrimp frozen in the cubes from the lfs, it says clams, mussels, not precooked shrimp all small pieces maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch. You can use a long tweezer and defrost the frozen ones first then drop a piece near its mouth.

Due to the possible eating things I was reluctant but really because of the stinging, I have sensitive skin and don't want to take the chance, so have not kept them.

If you are aware of how to handle it and like it and have room to keep it then why not? I would check into the part about if it really can grab and eat fish. I would assume it could catch sick or injured ones easily.

You need to feed it some meaty foods but that is easy with frozen food packs.

They are pretty and interesting.

You can get some meaty food, Mysis Shrimp frozen in the cubes from the lfs, it says clams, mussels, not precooked shrimp all small pieces maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch. You can use a long tweezer and defrost the frozen ones first then drop a piece near its mouth.

Thank you for all your advice!

Not that you asked, but.....

My favorite nem is the Rock flower Anemone. The common types are pretty inexpensive and the wildly glowing neon beauties will fetch a pretty dollar (penny).

And also to hang out the Anemone Shrimp aka Sexy Shrimp - Thor amboinensis.

And another favorite is the Nassarius snails. Watch a couple videos of them coming up out of the sand at first whiff of food and it is very entertaining!!! Also called Zombie snails sometimes.

All of these are easy to care for and do not require insane amounts of light. Low tech options. And Yellow Clown Goby is a wonderful fish for beginning, I have had mine going on 5 years. Always rushes to the edge of the tank to see if I am handing out a food nibble.

I’ve seen the nassarius snails they are pretty cool. I used to have a 100g tank about 5 years ago and sold it when I moved.

Now I wanted to get back to it so I got a 65g (53 tank, 12sump) Red Sea Reefer.

Back then I had a yellow tang, Fox face, clowns, a gobby and I tried a mandarin dragonet. I also had a rose bubble tip anemone, Zoas, monstruo soft corals.

I feel like I have a better set up now. I just gotta stock up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then you know what's up!

That is a nice tank. Congrats on finding something special to create something wonderful.

Make sure you let me see the tank build! Make a link here for it so I don't miss it.

Well then you know what's up!

That is a nice tank. Congrats on finding something special to create something wonderful.

Make sure you let me see the tank build! Make a link here for it so I don't miss it.

Sounds good!

I've kept this type of carpet anemone before. I've never had it catch a healthy fish. Already dead is another story. They are pretty hardy and as long as the photosynthetic needs are met they will thrive. Can be intolerant to changes in alkalinity and will shrivel up and vanish.

I've kept this type of carpet anemone before. I've never had it catch a healthy fish. Already dead is another story. They are pretty hardy and as long as the photosynthetic needs are met they will thrive. Can be intolerant to changes in alkalinity and will shrivel up and vanish.

If I were to get one at the lfs how would I tell if it is healthy or not? Things to look for on the foot ect?
Considering getting one I recently saw last week.

No faded color, intact foot, stuff like that yeah. But with that said, you have a pretty new system. I'd hold off on any type of anemone for some time. They need pristine water conditions and intense lighting. Wait for the system to stabilize for a couple more months and revisit the idea.

Back
Top Bottom