Is this aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

We have this "growth" in our tank, all over a few of our LR. We have had a few large aiptasia, which our peppermint shrimp had taken care off. However, we haven't seen the shrimp for a few weeks now... MIA... (We have a mantis shrimp we haven't been able to get rid of, and I suspect he's fallen victim).

This "stuff" is much smaller than the aiptasia we had previously, hopefully you can see by the attached pic. They stand about 4mm high (0.15in). Its a reddy-brown colour, with a stem and little branches. Its almost like a carpet?

We have 3 tangs and a flame angel in the tank, and they aren't going near it when they pick on the rocks. We also have a clown and 4 chromis.

What do you guys think it is?

If it is aiptasia, what are some methods you've used to get rid of it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments

• Aiptasia.jpg
    Aiptasia.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 68
Holy Toledo! mdfrookie, hope that's not your tank! That's not pretty. Thanks for the confirmation though.

Thankfully no, that's not what ours looks like. 2 entire LRs are covered, and we can't see many other rocks that are effected.

We are considering just taking these rocks out? We think considering how much its spread in the last few weeks that our little Peppermint Shrimp must be gone, and that he was probably doing a very good job.

I spoke to our LFS today, and they agreed Peppermint Shrimps tend to be the best way to cure aiptasia. She also suggested a Copperband Shrimp? If its a bigger shrimp, it may not be as easy a target for the mantis? Our cleaner shrimp is quite large, and he's very happy.

Have any of you had any experience with Copperbands and aiptasia?

Thanks again!

Copperband Butterfly fish... not a shrimp. And it is not a fish that is considered 100% reef safe.

If you don't mind sacrificing the rocks, I'd remove them and use them in your garden! You've got quite a bit of aiptasia there, and even going at them with Joe's Juice or kalkwasser paste (my two recommended options) will be a long, drawn out battle.

Peppermints shrimp are hit and miss when it comes to aiptasia. When they do their job, they seem to take care of little ones. But they often won't deal with the bigger ones - which yours kind of seem to be getting close to being.

LOL, thanks Kurt! I probably could have been waiting an awful long time for a Copperband Shrimp to eat it then! I obviously misheard her.

Thanks for the advise. We'll remove the rocks. Of course its the 2 largest, best rocks, right the way down the bottom.... Oh well...

Vox

Back
Top Bottom