Is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How's it going everybody? This is one of currently four Java fern plants in my aquarium and for the past couple of days I've noticed it has a cluster of something hanging off of some of the leaves. I just want to make sure this isn't Algae so I can trim the leaf off if it is or is it part of the plant that's appearing as it grows? None of the other plants are showing signs of these growths and it's only on one leaf it seems.

Attachments

• stuff on leaves.JPG
    stuff on leaves.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 27
Picture isnt too clear, but it looks like a new baby java fern. Pick it off and dispose of it or let it grow and you will get a new plant.

Picture isnt too clear, but it looks like a new baby java fern. Pick it off and dispose of it or let it grow and you will get a new plant.

Awesome! Thanks Aiken Drum! It certainly did look more like some kind of frond than a clump of algae. I'll let it grow! I was hoping the plants would begin to multiply!

I throw away huge amounts of java fern, either plantlets picked off the leafs like you have or just out of control growth that i trim away. I think i remove 30% of the plant mass every 6 weeks or so. All viable plants. If you have patience you could easily fill a planted tank with one original java fern if you cultivate the plantlets and the trimmed off cuts.

Back
Top Bottom