Is this bacterial infection or internal parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.

There is an unknown disease outbreak now in my 90g tank.

It all starts when I introduced 10 green laser cory into my tank a few days ago. They were fine in the first day, but then start dying off, 2-3 a day. Now, only one is alive in the tank. The same disease seems to have spread to the other fish, as two of my 3 year old lemon tetra and a Juli cory is found dead as well.

Here is a photo of the dead juli cory.
Swp3QSW.jpg

Most fish died show similar symptom as this cory, with internal bleeding on the body. This is the first fish with an inflamed anus though. The first few green laser cory has a sullen belly (which I assume was parasite), but none of the other fish has the same symptoms. The fish are all fine the day before. They would swim around and actively search for food. It is only till a few hours before they died that they started frantically dashing around in the tank.

The tank was set up for months already, and there is no ammonia and nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate. WC schedule is 50% per week.

I really have no idea what kind of disease I am facing here. The internal bleeding seems like bacterial infection, but the sullen belly and inflamed anus points to parasite. I can't decide which kind of med to use without knowing the nature of the disease. Please advise, thanks.

I am unaware of a parasite that kills that quick.There may be one but I don't know of it..
Now quick killing bacterial issue....Columnaris.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Good luck. If it is columnaris you need to treat or sterilize the main tank...

Thank you for the reply. I do not see the lesion or the white film, but the bloody streak seems like what my fish have. Unfortunately, due to the presence of cory and pleco, I can't use salt. Instead, I am treating the whole tank with Waterlife Myxazin now (half dose due to the sensitive fish). Temp is now at 25 degree, and I will reduce it a bit as well.

Wondering if I should give them some kind of medicated food at the same time (perhaps KanaPlex?). I am not sure if these med could mix.

Looks more like Tuberculosis or aermonoas (open red sores, septicima)
Should use proper antibiotic
Kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Maracyn 2 "minocycline"
Triple sulfa

Looks more like Tuberculosis or aermonoas (open red sores, septicima)
Should use proper antibiotic
Kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Maracyn 2 "minocycline"
Triple sulfa

Thank you. I will try this out if the Acriflavine in Myxzain does not do the trick.

Unfortunately, more lemon tetra dies today, but the cory stops dying. I am not sure if it is because the half dose is working on the skinless fish, but not so much on scaled fish like tetra.

A photo of one of the tetra died today:
2fYY2C0.jpg

I notice that there is a lesion on the fish, but then it is a symptom of both TB and columnaris. Didn't notice any curved spine on the dead fish though.

It's the 3rd day of the Myxazin treatment, but I don't see any sign of improvement. Fish are still dying at the rate of 3-5 per day. I would still complete the 5-day course, but I probably would need to switch to another med after that.

I have just found a living fish with noticeable symptom, and took a photo for better diagnosis.
h15FEdu.jpg

Most dead fish developed this white patch/lesion before they die in 12 hours or less. They would still eat at this stage, and the only other noticeable symptom is more rapid breath. This white patch would enlarge in a few hours and I would see some blood spot on it.

Back
Top Bottom