Is this BBA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
This java fern arrived with some black spots which were going away, but I returned to this after a quick business trip. It looks like small plants (note the leaves) have sprouted on the larger leaf. I side Flourish 2x/week and Excel every other day, except I missed a couple times during my trip. Is this BBA?

image-1059590834.jpg

Not sure what BBA stand for but those are plantlets- new baby java ferns that are growing from the dark spots on your original plant.

I was surprised first time I saw them too. Just reach in and they snap off very easily with a light touch. Each new plantlet grows its own roots so attach it to driftwood with string if it floats away.

I let mine grow at least two leaves before I remove them but I don't know if that is really needed. I just wait for my monthly rescape. I have too many in my planted 29 so they spread to other tanks like my husbands nano and RCS tanks.

BBA is Black Beard Algae - no it's not - those are roots from the baby plants that java give off

Oh, that's interesting. I'm glad it's not BBA. I'll just let it do its thing. I only have medium light and this has been growing very slowly. Thanks!

A lot of my plantlets have grown bigger, greener and faster than the original plants I got for pet smart many moons ago (first week I owned fish I think)

I snip any black or browning leaves down close to the "arm" (forget the technical term, the exposed root) and toss the plant if that arm starts to get dark or mushy.

Pretty soon you will have java up the ying yang (couldn't resist!)

Back
Top Bottom