Is this Coralline algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

metree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this the begining of coralline algea? I placed this "dead rock" in my tank two months ago and it was all white( just like the rest of the rock in the picture). But, little by little, the rock began to turn this reddish/pinkish color. The color is very slowly spreading throughout the rest of the rock. I'm pretty sure that it isnt red slime. Would coralline algea really grow that fast on a piece of base rock? I thought it would take about six months or more. If it is coralline algea, I think it is neat to see how things change over time in my tank.

algea.jpg

Attachments

• algea.jpg
    algea.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 81
i could take about 6 months to fully explode. it grows fast when it is lighted and no creatures are trying to eat it. I started with one rock but the snails kept devouring it. now the snails nor I can keep up.

Thanks guys,
i am noticing that some of my other rocks and even my substrate is changing a couple of different colors( mostly pinkish, but I am also seeing some nice turquoise greens). I hope that this stuff doesnt get too out of of control. I have been ejoying watching it grow, but I hope my clean up crew can keep this stuff in check. I have four astraea, 1 turbo, 1 cerith, 3 nassarius, and a chiton ( I read that they love this stuff).

Back
Top Bottom