Is This Enough Light for a 36g Bowfront?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-JD-

Aquarium Advice Regular
The current light you have has 2 18w bulbs ?
Seems that would be ok for low light, maybe some medium light plants but the 36 bowfront is very tall 21 inches I think.

Here are a few options I have looked at for the same tank...
Nova Extreme T5HO - 2 bulbs @ 24w each
30 in. Nova Extreme T5 HO Freshwater Aquarium Light Fixture - 2 x 24W | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Aqualight T5HO -2 bulbs @ 31w each
30 in. Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixture - 2 x 31W | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

The current light you have has 2 18w bulbs ?
Seems that would be ok for low light, maybe some medium light plants but the 36 bowfront is very tall 21 inches I think.

Here are a few options I have looked at for the same tank...
Nova Extreme T5HO - 2 bulbs @ 24w each
30 in. Nova Extreme T5 HO Freshwater Aquarium Light Fixture - 2 x 24W | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Aqualight T5HO -2 bulbs @ 31w each
30 in. Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixture - 2 x 31W | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Yes, 21 inches. I've actually been looking at the dual 24w Nova, but wasn't sure it would be enough. The dual 31w Aqualight seems promising. Would it put me into needing CO2 dosing? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

The nova extreme would give you 48 watts, you should be able to try medium light plants without co2.
The only other option I see is the 2 x 31watt fixture and I'd guess you would be looking at co2 then.

As for 55 watts, it is most likely a power compact bulb. I prefer the T5HO flourescents, but maybe you can also look for a 30 inch fixture with power compact bulbs.

I would stick with 48 watts to safely avoid needing co2.

Thanks for the info. I will probably go with the 48 watts, but if I jump to the 2 x 31 fixture, should I replace the actinic bulb it has with something else, or would it be ok with freshwater?

-JD- said:
Thanks for the info. I will probably go with the 48 watts, but if I jump to the 2 x 31 fixture, should I replace the actinic bulb it has with something else, or would it be ok with freshwater?

IMO u would need to replace the bulb.

The actinic's look really nice and are safe for FW but they do not help with plant growth.

I have the same tank with the original lighting for now, T8 17w 8,000K.
That would be very low light plants only.
So far the low light plants are surviving but only the java moss shows healthy growth. (Anacharis and hornwort are the others).

I'll be switching to T5HO 48 watts in future to get better growth while avoiding the need for co2.

A few members on here with a lot of plant experience often help with these questions so hopefully they will jump in here when they get a chance.

If you leave the blue bulb in, you'll only have 24w of light the plants can use. I'd suggest replacing it with a bulb in the 6500K-10kK range.

If you leave the blue bulb in, you'll only have 24w of light the plants can use. I'd suggest replacing it with a bulb in the 6500K-10kK range.

What about a 31w Colormax bulb? Does that offer any benefit?

Thanks everyone. Now I'm leaning toward the 2 x 31w fixture, with one 10000K and one Colormax bulb. Hopefully I can squeak by without CO2.

Thanks everyone. Now I'm leaning toward the 2 x 31w fixture, with one 10000K and one Colormax bulb. Hopefully I can squeak by without CO2.
The only thing about this coralife 30" fixture is the 31w bulbs.
It's great news that they aren't using smaller tubes\lower watts but they are the only company I know of that makes 30" tubes (31watts).
I checked out my lfs's and none carry these bulbs, so far.

Back
Top Bottom