Is this fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
This my pregnant guppy. Here are pictures of both her sides
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425416671.983912.jpg
Infected side
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425416692.349725.jpg
Ok side. Sorry they are kinda blurry but she wouldn't stop moving.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Oops sorry I forgot the parameters
PH = between 7.2 and 7.0
Ammonia = 0ppm
It is a 10g tank. Just her an 5 Apple snails I do 10% weekly water changes. Temp is around 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can anyone help me?

Can't really tell. It's either that or bacterial. Try an anti-fungal and see if it makes a difference in a few days. Or use something like tetra fungus guard which treats fungus and bacterial.

If it's red around the infection or eating into the scales I'd favour bacterial. Bit wispy and is fuzzy above the scales, could be fungal.

Can't really tell. It's either that or bacterial. Try an anti-fungal and see if it makes a difference in a few days. Or use something like tetra fungus guard which treats fungus and bacterial.

If it's red around the infection or eating into the scales I'd favour bacterial. Bit wispy and is fuzzy above the scales, could be fungal.

Yeah it's kinda fuzzy above the scales but I'm not sure so I'll get the tetra fungus guard. Also she is giving birth as I type so do you think the babies can get it?

Also is there any way I could treat it without the tetra fungus guard?

MB should do it. You could half dose to start if fry are in tank. Not sure on other anti-fungal products.

Pimafix you could try but imo I'd skip it. I only find that works if a mild case.

MB should do it. You could half dose to start if fry are in tank. Not sure on other anti-fungal products.

Pimafix you could try but imo I'd skip it. I only find that works if a mild case.

Ok I've never done medications so what is MB?

Also I normally feed the fry to my larger fish so could I do it or am I putting my other tanks in danger of getting the fungus?

Could I put her in a separate jar to treat her with salt?

MB is mythelene blue.

I'd leave the fry in (perhaps a net so not eaten) for a few days until infected guppy sorted.

You could try the salt first up. Should get an improvement after a few days.

Or you could just try doung larger water changes. Healthy clean water does a lot for sick fishies...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so I'm thinking about putting her in a jar in the tank then treating with salt and doing daily water changes of 50% does that sound good? And if your wondering why I'm putting her in a jar is because I have live plants and snails in the tank.

Ok I put her in the jar and did some research on how much salt to dose and it said 1 tablespoon for every gallon of water and she is in a quart jar so I'm going to put 3/4 of a teaspoon in and I'm going to sprinkle a little in every hour until it's all in does that sound good?

Hmmmmm idk if my swordtail has fungus or ick lol let me know how yours goes

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Hmmmmm idk if my swordtail has fungus or ick lol let me know how yours goes

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Ich looks like salt on your fish and fungus covers your fish.

Ok I put her in the jar and did some research on how much salt to dose and it said 1 tablespoon for every gallon of water and she is in a quart jar so I'm going to put 3/4 of a teaspoon in and I'm going to sprinkle a little in every hour until it's all in does that sound good?

Sounds good. You might need to take a bit of water out to pre-mix. Should be fine, just do a water change if she starts to struggle with the salt or rolls over. A tablespoon per gallon is a good starting point.

When did the infection start? Eg after a water change?

Sounds good. You might need to take a bit of water out to pre-mix. Should be fine, just do a water change if she starts to struggle with the salt or rolls over. A tablespoon per gallon is a good starting point.

When did the infection start? Eg after a water change?

I have been taking water out to premix what I'm doing is take 60 cc out then putting 1/4 of a teaspoon in the 60 cc then only putting 10 cc in with her and she seems to be doing good. I'm putting the 10 cc in once an hour. I honestly don't know when the infection started all I know was one day I looked in and there she was with almost half of her side covered in this white stuff.

That does sound fungal. Is it getting any worse or getting more fuzzy/hair-like?

Edit - anything changed in the tank a day or so to noticing? Anything new or filter change or temp change, etc, etc.

That does sound fungal. Is it getting any worse or getting more fuzzy/hair-like?

Edit - anything changed in the tank a day or so to noticing? Anything new or filter change or temp change, etc, etc.

It is not getting worse but I did act quickly as soon as I saw it. Nothing has changed just out of the blue bam! She had fungus :/

Back
Top Bottom