Is this good enough light to grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this light ok for growing plants? I think it's the kind of light that comes with the tank when you buy a set from the big chain stores. I have 2 of these on a 10g tank. 25W each. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-2736310392.jpg
    image-2736310392.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
You can buy screw in power compact bulbs, they'll serve you better, and have better light vs. Heat output.

I had a 10 gallon with two of these suckers in - in the summer, I had to keep them off or the tank would go north of 82 degrees.

Edit:

I was able to grow Java Fern, java Moss without issue with the incandescent bulbs though. They grew like weeds with 2 Power comapct screw-ins.

+1 for the power compacts. My 10gal grows like mad with the two it has on it. I ended up actually doing away with my heater because the lights keep the tank at around 75. Though, I live in SoCal so it's fairly warm throughout the year.

Where can I buy those screw in PC bulbs? Pics? Thanks.

You can pick up the better ones at Petco for about 10$ - Zoo-Med Ultra Sun Compact Fluorescent - these are straight so a lot more light goes right into the tank. Or you could go with simply daylight rated spiral CFL bulbs from Home Depot. You could probably get a 2 pack for 6 bucks.

They sell the screw in CFL type bulbs at most pet stores, and even walmart in the pet section. If your hood can afford the space, you could get regular spiral cfls in there in the daylight spectrum. The spiral shaped ones definitely have a lot more restrike, but for the type of application they are in they work well.

Will the GE daylight 6500K work? It's only 13W though and the ones that's in the fixture is 25W.

Back
Top Bottom