Is this gravel ok for cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So....I am firmly in the sand camp. I find it vastly easier to keep clean by an order of magnitude. I also like it better from a fish behavior perspective.

That being said, I really don't think having an aquarium gravel substrate will be harmful to corydoras species. Even(especially?) pygmaeus.

It is totally fine if you want sand or gravel. I am going to throw in my opinions and experience here though to give you a bit of different perspective.
I have kept cories for years on both sand and gravel. I have never noticed any different in their behavior at all between the 2 substrates. I fully believe that warnings about gravel wearing down cory barbels to be a myth. Poor water quality and bacteria build build up will do this, but a substrate has to be crazy sharp for that to happen. The regular aquarium pea gravel does not fall under this category, I am talking pure glass edged gravel. That said, I know of several fluke type situations where people had cories lose barbels on super sharp edged sand. So, the main point is just to use a little common sense about it, and keep the substrate clean. Gravel has taken the rap for a lot of people's poor tank management over the years. Though, I am sure there are probably several fluke cases where some person found crazy sharp gravel and then this happened.
Personally, I don't like my one sand tank left. It looks cool, but I find it far more annoying to clean and move things around in and I won't likely set up another one anytime soon. That is just preference though. Many people like it a lot better.

I see the OP has made their decision, but in case anyone else is also wondering about this, I'd just like to add that while I don't have anywhere near this wealth of experience :) I agree. I have a mix of sand and gravel in my tank, and I've not noticed that the cories prefer either area. They go where the food is! :)

Looks good man!! That your boat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea that's my bass rig. Triton 17 foot.

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I just drooled on my phone... i have a 10' er. Need more power..

I just drooled on my phone... i have a 10' er. Need more power..

Lol. I started out with a 10 foot duracraft with a 15 horse. I paid my dues with that old POS. But it caught fish and that's all that matters. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom