Is this green water algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What you want to do is remove the tank from in front if the window, natural sun light produces algae rapidly, if you want to avoid this just simply move the tank out of direct sun light.

I'm trying to grow green water for daphnia I just don't want thick algae.

Green water is a single celled free floating type of algae that turns water green. Daphnia or waterfleas eat the green water and you can feed fish the daphnia.

Airpump might help... might also hurt. What's the texture of the top gunk? What happens when you shake it?

The texture is just thick an slimy and green. I actually shake it daily and what happens is some of the algae will just float up and form a layer at the top after a while but at first when it's shaken the water is completely green at the consistency that I want it at.

So it's completely homogeneous after being shaken? That's kind of cool I suppose. Is this going to interfere with your plans for the GW? If you're just feeding it to daphnia/fry, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, long term.

Although there's something to be said for setting out to fulfill a task and succeeding too much.

I'm going out to buy some daphnia today I'm going to empty the fish bowl and clean it out the water bottles are seeded more than enough and have better growth than the glass bowl. I'll put the daphnia in there with dechlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom