Is this ich/ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw some white spots on my goldfish. Not real sure it was there before. Is it ick? I have started treatment just in case by using aquari-sol.

DSCF6622.jpg

DSCF6625.jpg

DSCF6626.jpg

How are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? How big is the tank/is there other fish? Is he/any other fish new? I wouldnt go the temp route with goldfish. I would treat him with aquarium salt. More information will help to figure things out!

Never mind. I checked today and there are no spots anymore. I doubt the medicine acted that fast, so it must have been something else, but its gone. Thanks for the help. There are two jouvinial goldfish (Fantail). They came from Walmart ( I know, the worst place to go) and the tank is a 5 gal. Water parameters are all good, just did a test yesterday. I forgot to write down the numbers.... Just did a pwc today too.

So, just so i am clear, you have 3 goldfish in a 5gal? You are inviting disaster here! Goldfish (fancies) need 20gal for the first fish, 10gal for each fish after. The minimum size tank you need for thses guys is 40gal. You need to either return them & purchase something more suitable or plan on a big upgrade immediately!

I have two in the tank. Yes, I am somewhat aware that they need a bigger tank.

The way I see it, is they could stay in the walmart tank and die, or get put into a fishbowl. I'm sure a 5 gal with frequent pwc and gravel vacs plus airstones would be better than a fish bowl or a death at a walmart tank...

Walmart's fish keeping practices are not worth the effort to even mention. However, as their new owner, you are responsible for them now and you should be keeping their best interests in mind. Even if you changed 100% of their water daily, they are going to suffer in a 5gal. I hope you will do whats right & in the best interests of your new fish. If you have any questions, please ask & we will help you!

Ok, thanks. If I upgrade I will probably have to get a stand. Ill check craigslist.

I dont do goldies, but I have read in several different places that 1 goldfish needs 20 gallons, and an additional 10 gallons per additional fish. This is under the assumption of adequate filtering and weekly pwc's.

The reason for this is that goldfish have no stomach and they are constantly putting waste into the water (Swimming poop factories).

Back
Top Bottom