Is this ich on my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gungabee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon breeder freshwater tank with a Fluval 50 that was set up about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I have two pregnant guppies (I had two males in there but took them back to the store!) and 6 kuhli loaches and my tank is close to being cycled. Ammonia is basically 0, nitrite is 5 and nitrate is 5. I am using Prime every other day for the nitrites. I noticed white areas on both guppy's tails 3 or 4 days ago and immediately went out and bought Imagitarium Parasite Remedy and started using it along with raising the temperature 2 degrees everyday. I started at 78 and now days later am at 84. I have been doing 10-25% water changes every other day for the past few days, including trying to vacuum the gravel fairly well to get any of the parasites. I have been assuming this is ich, but since they appear to be streaks and not spots I am not sure. To complicate matters one of the females gave birth this morning so I have 8 fry in the tank as well. I was planning on switching to Hikari Ultimate and Ich X tomorrow, but I am concerned about the fry. One of the adult guppies looks slightly better today, but the other looks worse. I have increased aeration by lowering the water in the tank a bit allowing the filter water to create the bubbles. I am avoiding using salt due to the loaches. First, I need to know if this is indeed ich and if so, will Ich X be ok for the fry? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 21
From the photo it looks like ich, but your description suggests otherwise.

I do want to say, do not trust Prime to do anything for your nitrite. The only surefire way to deal with nitrite except through the nitrogen cycle is water changes.

The nitrite (and nitrate) detoxifying properties of seachem prime is something seachem cant substantiate in anyway. The product wasnt designed to detoxify nitrite/nitrate. Seachem can provide no process through which it does this and their own website says they have no idea how it does this and they use anecdotal reports to make their claim. Im sorry, buts that not enough to trust the lives of my fish to when i can easily deal with the issue with water changes.

From seachems FAQ page.

3UNWhzy.jpeg

Im more willing to accept that prime can detoxify ammonia, because there is a known mechanism to detoxify ammonia (by conversion to ammonium) and its at least something seachem claim to know how it works (even though they wont disclose how it works) and is something the product was designed to do.

Thank you Aiken, I just did a water change & will continue to do those daily until things settle down. I guess that means I will have to re-dose the Parasite Remedy now since I removed some of it with the water change. I'm not sure how I should be medicating with daily water changes. Also, I want to try the Ich X tomorrow, but not sure if it will hurt my fry. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom