Is this ICK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TbOnE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Freshwater 135 gl. Community tank ph7.9/ nh3 .25 /no3 10 .

I have a new introduced red sevrum that has small white growths all over his body. It looks like ich to me, but he's not acting like he has it. No flashing, no hiding, no gasping. He feeds normally.

I treated with salt and melafix and raised the temp up to 79 Is this ich or some type of fungus?
Thanks to all in advance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pic of sevrum

Attachments

• 1435355165343.jpg
    1435355165343.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 77
Yes that is ich.
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
PLEASE READ THE LINK before 10 different people confuse you with THEIR way to kill ich!
There are a couple PROVEN ways.
Know the enemy.
Act fast if you want your fish to win(the one in background does not look well either IMO).
Prepare for many points of view!~

Plus 1 re the one at the back. Kind of hard to see the spots here but that one at the back I'm wondering on as well.

If you go down the meds road (whichever suits), watch your ammonia - it seems a little on the upper side already at 0.25.

Yep its ich...spread to a few others overnight. I did a 30% water change and cleaned the gravel. Treated with melacite* green. I never treated with copper before, so should I re dose before or after the 4 day life cycle of ich?

My concern is raising the temperature too high. This is my community tank, and the real fish I care about are my angels, severums, and a big butterfly pleco. Can these fish handle 86 degrees? Thanks so much for all the helpful advise and links that coralbandit left

Yep its ich...spread to a few others overnight. I did a 30% water change and cleaned the gravel. Treated with melacite* green. I never treated with copper before, so should I re dose before or after the 4 day life cycle of ich?

What exactly did you use?
M green is not copper but many meds may have both?
What do the directions say for dosing?
The water change was a smart move!
If the infection is strong(yours is IMO),
then I vacuum everyday the sub(lightly not deep clean) and then redoes at least for volume removed if not more.

I ran to pets mart because that was.the only thing open at the time. It's marineland ' version of ICK remedy....looks like what's in api. MG is the only active ingredient. Directions simply state "dose for 2-4 days...or 24 hours if severe" I have enough for one more dose, and I figure to combine remedies as it stated in that link you sent me. I can get my hands on some more direct medications on amazon by the time I run out of MG. I plan to continue dosing like you recommend and re_dosage in [7 days?] With [remedy B]

Dose as you need or can.
Get more of the same med IMO.
I would not use copper without having a copper test kit and the willingness to change a lot(a lot) of water to remove it.
The med you chose should work for you.
Keep us updated.

Ok. Well it has been a week, and the tank has seemed to stabilize. I still have the carbon removed from my canister filter. I have used MG treatment until yesterday. Changed 50% water after a good scrubbing. I'm now treating with an organic treatment (kordon 5% naphthoquinone) along with Para guard (synthetic MG blend). I plan to continue using this combination for an entire water cycle....probably until next Wednesday. Then I will turn my secondary canister on with the carbon in it and let the tank do its thing. Then possibly re-done with MG afterwards. If my plan sounds bogus, I'm all ears. THANKS EVERYONE

Back
Top Bottom