Is this lighting acceptable for Corals or Anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is what is currently on my tank:

Aqualight T-5 Series - Double Linear Strip (36"): Coralife

-Aqualight T-5 Series - Double Linear Strip
-Includes 21 watt 10,000K daylight and
- 21 watt true actinic 03 blue T-5 fluorescent lamps
- On/off switch and built-in ballasts
- Sleek, designer-black aluminum housing
- Highly-polished reflector
- Acrylic lens cover
- Adjustable width tank mounts
- Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums

Just wondering if it has enough oomph if I decide to add the odd coral or an anemone for my clown?

Depends on the depth of the tank i guess. They may be enough for some low light corals like mushrooms or zoas. Definitely not going to be anywhere near enough for an anemone. You want to make sure that any T-5 fixture has individual reflectors for each bulb. Parabolic shape is best. A bit more info on the dimensions and size of the tank would help.

Tank size is 36" long, 12" or so wide and 17" high.

No good. Those are normal output 21w fluorescent bulbs. They are not T5 HO, which are 39w bulbs. T5 only means the diameter of the bulb. HO mean high output.

Ah, ok. Thanks! Can I use an HO bulb in that unit?

Nope. That uses a regular normal output ballast. You might be able to take it apart and replace the ballasts with a T5 HO ballast. You can find them at HD or Lowes, or definitely at your local electric supply store. The T5HO's run alot hotter than your current bulbs. Depending on how good the fixture is constructed, it may or may not be a problem.

I have to agree with cccapt. The bulb has to match the ballast. What you have there is probably enough for some low light corals as Pat mentioned, mushrooms ect.

Even some of the low light corals would probably grow slowly and not have great color under those bulbs though. If you wanna keep corals its really in your best interest to upgrade.

Ok, sounds good. I was just curious. I think since this is my first tank I'll just keep it simple as a FOWLR.

Back
Top Bottom