is this lighting going to be okay for some corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonredman reef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all i have just brought a light from the internet me being silly an couldnt wait rushed an brought one online an did not pay to much for it $130 it is a led 38 pc 19 clear 19 blue .wavelengths something like455 -465nm and 12000- 16000k also in the photo it showed two leads meaning you could individually turn blue or clear on off tho i have recieved it and it still has two points but one power supply and when you put lead in both sides they both show blue an clear. I emailed them and they said the pic was a old model but they have changed it for faults. Anyway i know someone that may hook something up maybe change blue to one swith and so forth. Thos if he cant. Should i just sell it or could i possibly use them as one light for day and get a blue seprate light for night time to get the moon cycle an help with corals and things at the same time what type of blue bulb? My tanks is only 75 gallon//265lt even less i have a weir. Its 300mm deep 400 high and 1500 long. Hope i can get some advice open to anything thankyou and would photos help?

How many watts is that? Can you post a link to the description? I don['t think you'll be able to keep much under that fixture, if anything at all. BTW, you don't need to have whites and blues on different cords. That's just for human enjoyment. Corals only need a daytime period of sufficient light.

Ok, that fixture may be ok for some lower light stuff. What were you intending to keep?
I would like The LEDs in focused groups instead of all spread out like that, but they are 3 watts a piece.

Im not to sure what intending to keep i have looked at a few but thought ill wait till i get to that stage i want some easy ones to start with. So you reckon this light wuld be alright? Do u think i need another type of light? Like run this one all day an have a blue night one that also helps coral growth? Thanks mate

This has both whites and blues, correct? since you already have this one, try some soft corals under it and see how that goes. You might need to purchase another of these, or maybe 2 more, depending on what corals you end up with. I think 3 of these fixtures over your tank would allow you to keep a decent assortment.
If the light is strong enough, it will promote coral growth. You don't need a blue light for night time.

Unless you want to return this one and get something that you can keep anything you want under now. It might save you some money.

Okay cool thankyou yes so corals do not need a blue night light tho cause i cant individualy swith them could i get a seprate blue for night and what king of light it doesnt reallg matter? I just wana get the daytime/nighttime pattern going

The morning/evening transition you are referring to is for human enjoyment. Corals aren't effected by that at all. They simply need enough light for a long enough time to carry out photosynthesis.

Okay cool so if i plan on getting a night light for my enjoyment if these led lights are running all day an seem to be working can i turn them off at night? Thanks x and sorry for all the questions"! You have been good help

You should run your daylights for a full day. 8-10 hours. You can run some straight blues for an hour before and an hour after if you like, to simulate morning and evening, but you need some period of night time as well. Just try to mimic the natural day out at the reefs where we collect these creatures.

So if i run daylights for 10hrs and blue hr before ands after during day like u said wat bout the rest of the night like midnight all light off?

Back
Top Bottom