Is this Mayaca fluviatilis Dead? PICS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if I should pull these out and write them off as dead. They may not to have suvived a 5 day, sub zero mail trip. Been in for 3 weeks...and I have not seen much change. I would not expect this plant to be too hardy...given it's hair like leaves.

I planted them in the highest light area of my 3 watt/gallon tank...and I have them near the CO2 Reactor.

What does everyone think:

Pull 'em or Leave 'Em?

Thanks!

WC

Is that Mayaca fluviatilis? Kinda looks like Rotala wallichi to me, but I guess the coloring is different... Either way, stick with it! It probably isn't dead, but may require a few weeks to adjust to the new environment. Watch the hair algae growing on the far left stem. If the plant isn't growing just yet, the algae could spread.

Is hair algae more likely to grow if the plant itself isnt growing so well?

I agree, that looks more like rotala wallichi than mayaca. If you don't have 2.5wpg or more of power compact lighting w/ CO2, I can understand why it's not doing well.

I currently have Compact Florencents at 3 Watts/Gallon and Pressurized CO2 providing 20ppm CO2 (based on pH and KH)...which should be doing a good job.

I have a Laterite/Gravel Mix substrate. I have also been using the Seachem Flourish Product for trace supplement. I have tried to test for Iron...but I can't make out the colors on the RedSea Plant Lab I have (very poor color vision). But with the laterite....I am assuming they should have plently of iron.

I bet you it is rotala wallichi and not Mayaca. The plant assortment I got stated it came with Mayaca, but the rotala must have been substituted. Things may not be so bad (I was expecting the bright green color of Mayaca...not the brown/red color). Perhaps they are not quite dead yet. I have seen no new growth...and there has been a lot of leaves towards the base lost.

I guess I will keep trying to keep them going.

WC

with that much lighting/CO2, are you dosing nitrate? phosphate?

Don't worry about the iron test...the Lamotte one is the only one that can even come close to being accurate. as you said, if you have laterite, and dose a little iron a few times a week, they aren't deficient in iron.

Also, mayaca is a pale yellow, not bright green :)

Back
Top Bottom