Is this ok for an LED light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any LED lighting that is affordable out there? (Maybe $200ish)

If not what should I know about lighting? I don't want to go crazy with corals. I don't need everything. Just want something that looks nice and is finding nemoish in the end.

Any help please?

That depends on how big your tank is. If you're just trying to get softies then T5 lighting is worlds cheaper

That depends on how big your tank is. If you're just trying to get softies then T5 lighting is worlds cheaper

Sorry, my tank is 125 gallon. What is the difference between a soft coral and hard coral? Guess I'll google now out of curiousity

hard corals require more light then soft corals, and also requires different flow rates.

you're not goign to really get any lights that will be good for corals wfor under $200 that will be good on a 125g

Building your own t5 fixture for 200 is very possible although you'll be paying about 200 in bulbs alone.

Does anyone have a guide on what to look for in lighting? Sounds like LED is out of my price range, so I'm looking at T5 HO, but what do I need to know? What is the difference between 4 and 5 bulb systems? Are the LED Moon lights necessary? Is there a feature I should look for?

I'm sure there's something you guys are telling me thats staring me in the face, but I feel lost. I'm trying to baby step this but simply not understanding what to buy.

Thanks again.

If you are looking to spend the absolute least amount of money here it is

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

I owned one of their units and had no complaints, but it was also only a 29g tank and I knew for a fact I was gonna resell and upgrade soon.

You would be limited with it but it could sustain basic corals in my opinion. No clams, Nems or anything that needs super high lighting.

just throwing it out there, hope that helps

3 vipers is like what? 210-300 dollars? That's plenty for most corals...

I'd try to find 3 viper HQI metal halides the 70W ones and then just spread them out...They're no longer being made so you should try to find some on amazon or ebay or something. You'll end up with like 3 very bright zones which could possible do SPS and then the middles and in betweens should be good for softies. That would depend on your tank size though. If it's a 6 footer or less it's perfect. 4 foot would mean sps at only the top a 120 long would mean you'd be able to have most corals.

Last edited:
Prety much what it comes down to is what kind of coral you what. For example I have all soft coral and polyps. I use the 4 bulb with the led moon lights. The moon lights arent a must but it shure is perty to look at. As stated above in a smaller tank you can grow some sps. If you want to go cheeper a two bulb would work but some of the higher light coral wont grow so if you reserch some coral just look at how much light it need and base it from ther.
Hope that helps

If you are looking to spend the absolute least amount of money here it is

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

I owned one of their units and had no complaints, but it was also only a 29g tank and I knew for a fact I was gonna resell and upgrade soon.

You would be limited with it but it could sustain basic corals in my opinion. No clams, Nems or anything that needs super high lighting.

just throwing it out there, hope that helps

WOW Carey!!! That looks like a steal! I don't see what that could possibly be missing. Cooling fans maybe?

Ive used Odyssea fixtures on several of my tanks and I allways heard about them catching fire due to uder rated wiring. I have opened all of my fixtures and it seams like the have fixed that problem. So two of those fixtures along with some fans to keep them cool and you can grow anything under them.

I would suggest just using that odyssea until the OP can save up enough money for a more suitable fixture. I have used their fixture and have not had any issues with them but I wasn't trying to light a 6 foot tank. While 2 of them is a neat approach, then you are almost at the price for a better fixture and thats what we are trying to avoid. :)

Also, not sure about the bulbs and if they are proprietary, meaning you might be limited in what bulbs you can put in the light fixture, I never gt to changing my bulbs so I dont know for sure.

If your on a budget,go with t5 or compact fluorescent,but if your trying to go hard grow some serious corals,I'd get a hqi fixture and an ice cap ballast,or get the new marineland reef capable led unit

Just my 2 cents. T5's are fine for all types of corals. I have 4 80 watt and 1 54 watt on my 5 foot 120 gallon and my sps,lps, and sorties are doing great check out my thread under members tanks.

Back
Top Bottom