Is this old news??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I talked to the seller and they're not collected from who I thought but they were purchased directly from Ted Judy.

If they are from Ted then they should be correct in the ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've known the seller for many years now and have no reason to doubt him, so I would agree if they're from Ted he would correctly ID the fish. Like I said I don't spend anytime looking at those types of cichlids...

I've known the seller for many years now and have no reason to doubt him, so I would agree if they're from Ted he would correctly ID the fish. Like I said I don't spend anytime looking at those types of cichlids...

Yah.. they'd be an expensive snack for the fish you keep.
I do not know close to.enough to weigh in here. Would someone juts figure all this out and send me a pair please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, so I just dug through dozens of viejita id threads and from what I gather the caudal spot on macmasteri is long and rectangular like on the female pictured, to more oval shaped like the male and the caudal spot on viejita is circular, but I am still waiting to hear back from Mike Wise on a confirmation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would someone juts figure all this out and send me a pair please.

Whoa buddy, they'll hit the market here soon enough, I've emailed both Ted Judy and Jeff Michels asking them to get back to me when they are on their lists again. I've waited 18 years for these fish a little longer won't kill ya ;)

I was just joshin, no extra space atm anyways.. but... if they do become available I can make space:)

I was just joshin, no extra space atm anyways.. but... if they do become available I can make space:)

The ones HUKIT posted are 30min from me and I have an empty 33L sitting on my living room floor:D

The ones HUKIT posted are 30min from me and I have an empty 33L sitting on my living room floor:D

Well.... you know what needs to be done mike!

Ok here's the verdict per Mike Wise, " You're right, those are a colorful wild or high colored domestic strain of A. macmasteri that has been sold commercially as "A. viejita" for decades. The problem is that many older books/magazines discussed this strain as viejita and people/breeders continue to use the name erroneously. If you see the true A. viejita, it is less robust and not quite as colorful as the A. macmasteri strain typically sold as "A. viejita". The true A. viejita has recently (late last year) appeared in the hobby as wildcaught fish and still rare."

Ok here's the verdict per Mike Wise, " You're right, those are a colorful wild or high colored domestic strain of A. macmasteri that has been sold commercially as "A. viejita" for decades. The problem is that many older books/magazines discussed this strain as viejita and people/breeders continue to use the name erroneously. If you see the true A. viejita, it is less robust and not quite as colorful as the A. macmasteri strain typically sold as "A. viejita". The true A. viejita has recently (late last year) appeared in the hobby as wildcaught fish and still rare."

Thanks for checking! I'm still confused as to Ted would sell them as viejita? I could a LFS selling them incorrectly but someone like Ted or Jeff from AC?

Thanks for checking! I'm still confused as to Ted would sell them as viejita? I could a LFS selling them incorrectly but someone like Ted or Jeff from AC?

It just happens sometimes(for some reason always that fish), I went to the same guy Ted and Jeff both go to for IDs. I do know that they both were the ones that Mike was refering to when he said the fish popped up last year, but those fish looked the same as the one Brookster posted from TFH. Jeff even had posted around Christmas asking for an ID conformation, but unfortunately the same as Ted's fish, few survived.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom